Acceptable Storage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
Being a flat-lander in Oklahoma means I don't have a basement. I've commandeered a small bedroom in the back of our house and have established a collection of sorts of aging wine.

Closing off the heat in this room has resulted in 60 - 65*F throughout the winter. When the weather begins to warm this part of the house would normally be around 75*F. I can crank the air for the back half of the house down to about 70*F without going bankrupt but I cannot prevent the cycling fluctuations which occur over the day. I've measured this as high as 8 degrees over a 24 hour period (the thermostat is not in this room obviously). A bottle's temp doesn't change as much but I'm certain it does change some.

Have any of you experienced aging issues with normal household wine storage in your home? I've got several hundred bottles now and no hopes of a basement...:(

Best is to have wine change temps. gradually. Consider insulating the room or the wine area to slow fluctuations. Place wines closer to floor where it will be cooler than eye level.

I appreciate the feedback guys.

I guess what I'm actually asking, is there anyone among us who stores their wines in their house subject to normal household environment

... and if so hows this working for you?

Yes. Temps swing frequently but I try to maintain in 70's during summer as opposed to 80's and winter they are in the 60's.

Wines are fantastic with no problems. I have reds 4 plus years old.

It's a battle many face. Odds are your wines will be drank beforehand.

Yes. Temps swing frequently but I try to maintain in 70's during summer as opposed to 80's and winter they are in the 60's.

Wines are fantastic with no problems. I have reds 4 plus years old.

It's a battle many face. Odds are your wines will be drank beforehand.

Thanks, I can sleep now...:db

I appreciate the feedback guys.

I guess what I'm actually asking, is there anyone among us who stores their wines in their house subject to normal household environment

... and if so hows this working for you?

I keep all my wine stored in the basement. My wine is relegated to sharing a room with the furnace, where the temp can go from 64 to 68 during the course of the day.
During this time I keep each carboy wrapped in a heavy blanket to keep it from being affected by the change in temp.

I have since moved my wine to the far end of the basement where the heat ducts dont reach.
This is 62 degrees during the winter.
However during the summer it can reach 70, or during those July/August dog days of summer when it gets to 96 degrees outside, my basement can get up in the 80's.

I keep a fan in the room and keep the air circulating. During the hotter months I drape a blanket in front of the carboys and bottled wine on the shelf and have a fan blowing on them.

IF you have the ability, I would suggest putting wine in a closset, and putting a fan in the closet, with the door open and away from the sun.

that is my $.03

Back