Absinthe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is illegal to posses Absinthe in the U.S., much less make it.

Sorry that is an incorrect statement... You cannot sell absinthe in the U.S. However it is legal to bring into the country for personal cunsumption. There are kits for the real thing. But like I said you cannot buy it in the U.S.

Here is where I got my info:

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/faq.html#Anchor-14210

And the following are some of the key Q&A's

Why is absinthe not sold in the United States?

Absinthe is not sold in the United States because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not allow the sales of spirited beverages that contain the chemical compound thujone. Real absinthe is made using wormwood, which contains thujone.

Can I buy absinthe in the United States?

No.

Can absinthe be shipped (mailed) into the United States?

Absinthe is a "prohibited" item and is subject to being seized by the United States Customs.

Can I make quality absinthe at home?

Producing a quality absinthe requires distillation and experience. If you are fortunate enough to live where home distillation is legal, you can learn to produce quality absinthe.

Owning and operating a distiller, without a license, in many countries, including the United States, is illegal.

Wow.. I have friends who get it shipped without a problem.. Maybe cause they are lucky... You can get recipes that do not have to be distilled (which reduces the thujone content. My local homebrew place gave me all this information I stated above..

cheers

Distillation is the key. You can not legally distill spirits in the U.S. without a license. Fortunately, wine making and beer brewing does not involve distillation. The problem with distillation is that if you don't know what you are doing you can kill yourself during the process or make something that will kill you.

Personally, I think it is totally irresponsible for any retail store to encourage and/or promote this activity. We have laws for a reason. If you don't like the law, then try to change it, not ignore it. End of my soap box for the day.

Drank Absinthe in France years ago...'The Green Fairy'...think it was the label Pernod [Per-no] I thought they sold it in Canada years ago.

Wormwood grows like crazy out in our pastures...it is herb to treat illnesses...

Back