a`question about racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summergirl

Junior
Reaction score
this is my first time at wine making.Ibought a wine kit fermented for 10 days ,last nightI racked into carboy .My question is do I fill with water to stopper now or at next racking .It was filled to shoulder .Please answer asapm

Summergirl,

I'm relatively new to this also (only done 3 kits), but I've spent a lot of time reading this forum. I'm sure others will chime in, but I'mpretty sureyou are ok to leave some headspace in the carboy at this stage. Since fermentation is still underway and you have not degassed yet, your wine will be protected by a blanket of CO2.

You will need to top-up the carboy after you degass and stabalize, as there will be no more CO2 to protect the wine from exposure to oxygen.

You may also want to consider topping up with a cheap bottle or two of similar commercial wine. Some feel topping up with water can dilute the wine.

If you are racking from the primary bucket to the carboy you do not top up at this time. You top up when you add the k-meta and sorbate and de-gas. Hope that helps you. This is for Wine Expert kits. If you are making another brand, you might want to look over the directions for the kit again to confirm this.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

If the SG is low 1.010-20, and it doesn't look by the next day(now) that you're going to have a foaming problem, I think you should go ahead and top up within a couple inches. At ten days primary fermentation might be completed and you're mainly just dropping out yeast.

What kind of wine are you making. You could top up with a similiar wine
instead of water so that you wont dilute and lose body. But like smurf
said and Ograv, it all depends on where your SG is. If it is
high, leave it alone for a little while. If it is low then you might
want to top up.

summergirl,

I would say that you don't want to top up at this point. If you still have a little fermentation to go the k-meta that the kit had in the juice should still be enough. Just so you get an occaisional bubble in the lock. Your next step will be stabilizing and clarifying. Part of that process will be to degass, which will kick up some foam. Wait until after this step to top up so the carboy doesn't overflow with foam.

I top up with good quality box wine. I can buy 3 L boxes of the brand I choose for about $15 here and can draw off exactly what I need. Then I have the rest of the box to drink or cook with on my schedule.

In the past I bought those little 4-packs of wine in airline sized bottles for cooking (about a cup in a bottle), but I find the boxes easier. Of course, once I have a stock of wine varieties I will just need a Vinu-Vac.

Hey George - does anyone make a dry Marsala kit?

Latest posts

Back