A Pan as a Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
I am making a 2 gallon batch of elderflower wine and I do not have a primary bucket that will fit it (I only have one 6.5, one 8.5, and one that is exactly two gallons). However, I do have a 3 gallon stainless steel pan with no nonstick coating or anything else on it. Can I clean the crap out of it with oxyclean and star san and use it as a primary? Let me know your thoughts if this is a risky move or not.

It will, I am just afraid that there will be too much oxygen once I put the airlock on with 4.5 gallons of space filled with air.

If you use a large bucket for primary, it won't matter. There is a lot of CO2 produced during primary that will protect the wine. I never air lock during primary.

Rack to glass or plastic bottles in a week or 10 days (your hydrometer will tell you) and then airlock.

I have started small batches in a large primary before. It will not hurt a thing, just watch the SG and when it gets down to around 1.000 to 1.010 then rack it into 2 one gallon jars with airlocks.

You can do it in any size, just more manageable in a smaller bucket.

Go to a big store that has a bakery; like Wal-Mart or Target. Daily they throw away dozens of 2, 3, and 5 gallon food grade buckets and lids, which hold cake icing and cake doe. They will gladly give you all you want. Clean and sanitize them, they work great.

s0615353, I don't think there is any problem using a stock pot (I think that is what you mean when you say "pan") but I would make sure it was not aluminum and be sure it is stainless steel.

I guess I could use the 6.5 gallon primary bucket, or something I just thought of now is that I could always use a 3 gallon carboy with the airlock left off until the SG reaches 1.010 (I will use a clean cloth to keep any foreign matter out of the top). Which one do you think is a better method, or will they both do their jobs the same?

I've used my large stainless stock pot for 2 gallon batches - just because it's easier to manage than the 6 gal bucket. Stainless is probably better than plastic anyway -

Latest posts

Back