A New Journey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so the journey begins.
In the picture are three very small clusters beginning their journey to my wine glass. As the assistant winemaker, I am often asked how many grapes it takes to make a glass of wine so I've posted some interesting statistics (this can change from year to year or with varieties):
One acre yields approximately 5 tons of grapes
One ton yields between 500 – 600 bottles of wine.
Most plantings have about 400 vines to an acre.
It takes 30 vines to make one barrel.
One barrel yields about 25 cases of 750ml bottles.
There are 59 gallons to a barrel of wine.
There are 5 glasses of wine per 750ml bottle.
One vine produces approximately 10 bottles of wine.
One vine produces approximately 40 clusters.
There are approximately four clusters to a 750ml bottle of wine.
There are approximately 75 – 100 grapes to a cluster (depending on the grape type).
It takes one cluster of grapes to make one glass of wine.

baby grape clusters.jpg

Cimbaliw funny stuff, that picture was only a week ago and omg you should see the vineyards now. I pass literally hundreds and hundreds of acres of them on the way home and to work. The leaves have grown so much and added so many more. The color of the vineyards have gone from pink to green in a matter of days. I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.Processors like Welches are already letting the vineyard owners the set amount they'll take from each this year as they are expecting such a bumper crop. We can only hope the sugar and quality will be there also.

Dan, you're light years ahead of me but here in West Michigan our fruit crops were decimated last year by too early of a spring. Now we're expecting bumper crops of apple, cherry, blueberry and peach. Much like the grape crop in PA thinks are bustin' here. Can't wait to ferment!

Dan, you're light years ahead of me but here in West Michigan our fruit crops were decimated last year by too early of a spring. Now we're expecting bumper crops of apple, cherry, blueberry and peach. Much like the grape crop in PA thinks are bustin' here. Can't wait to ferment!
We experienced the exact same thing last year.

the jerney

I know of the journey your on and the great things you'll get to experience,touch and taste, that's what makes this a great hobby Wolfman,we still need to do a swap, you and I.:u

Just two week from the original picture with the buds you can see how fast the clusters are growing. I think this is going to be one hel! of a year for grapes.

3 week grape.jpg

Back