A few questions!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s cool. No rules about when to blend. Plus more control when blending finished wines —-*at least thats what they say.
I’ve yet to blend finished wines other than polishing off a couple diff bottles into one glass!
I’m still a couple years away from my massive blending party. With multiple varietals-vintages-countries of finished wine. In 2020 all are invited!

Regarding the oak- that’s personal preference. Lately I’ve been steering away from American. Was using spirals and staves. Trying Hungarian and French now -jumping head first into the barrel world.
My 2017 Sangiovese from grapes will be the popping the Frenchies cherry. W/o experience I could easily jack the wine up in an American I think. And the Euros give a little more wriggle room for time and extraction.

That’s cool. No rules about when to blend. Plus more control when blending finished wines —-*at least thats what they say.
I’ve yet to blend finished wines other than polishing off a couple diff bottles into one glass!
I’m still a couple years away from my massive blending party. With multiple varietals-vintages-countries of finished wine. In 2020 all are invited!

Regarding the oak- that’s personal preference. Lately I’ve been steering away from American. Was using spirals and staves. Trying Hungarian and French now -jumping head first into the barrel world.
My 2017 Sangiovese from grapes will be the popping the Frenchies cherry. W/o experience I could easily jack the wine up in an American I think. And the Euros give a little more wriggle room for time and extraction.
My sangio is fermenting well, i cant wait in about 3-4 more days to press it and then get it into secondary. At which point ill pitch the malolactic.

My sangio is fermenting well, i cant wait in about 3-4 more days to press it and then get it into secondary. At which point ill pitch the malolactic.
Hey...I'm just starting 6 gallon of sangiovese from a bucket of mosto bello...would you mind sharing you measurements of ph, TA, and so before you pitched yeast....I got a high ph ..over 4 and TA of .37 and was wondering if that's because the nature of just buying juice...should I adjust to ph of 3.6 or so before pitching?
I have redstar premier rouge as my yeast...any thoughts or advice much appreciated...I'm a bit of a noob, and have only done peach and strawberry thus far

pH was about 3.6 I didn't measure TA . I would use BM 4x4 yeast as it's actually isolated from sangio fermentations in italy. So it's ideal. You can use that yeast. But I don't know of it will be ideal. Make sure you do malolactic towards the end of primary. As it will help with sharpness of sangio.

Back