A couple new meads I've started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last batch of JAO I made I used EC-1118 as well, and it turned out very good IMO. It still has a slight sweetness to it, which I'm guessing is because the starting SG was probably very high. I was impressed that there didn't seem to be an unpleasant hotness when I opened the first bottle at approximately 6 months old. I am starting to wonder if that batch didn't have a stuck fermentation as well. We'll see how this batch turns out. If it's too dry and hot I will probably stabilize and sweeten with honey again.

Well I finally got around to checking on this batch of JAO again. It had finished fermenting for a while and had cleared pretty well on its own. SG is at around 1.015 if my memory servesso I'm guessing it's done for good. It's still sweet and I'm not sure if I'm a fan of this batch, but I'll let it age and we'll see. I decided to go ahead and filter. I went against better judgement and tried filtering directly from the carboy with all the lees at the bottom. I was being lazy and thought I could avoid picking up and of the lees. Boy was I wrong! A little yeast goes a long way towards clogging a filter pad! I went through three pads before I finally just racked the rest into the recieving carboy making a very cloudy mead all over again.
smiley13.gif
Oh well. I put it down in the "cellar" and hopefully it'll clear again. I did leave a sizeable chunk of lees behind so I did make some headway!
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back