99# plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all ryangws the kits do not have you add the sulfite to stop the fermentation. You don't add it to the kit until fermentation has ceased. It merely protects the wine by creating an inhospitable environment for yeast and bacteria to grow- causing spoilage, etc.

Let the wine finish fermenting, although it should have been done long ago. Verify it is done by taking SG readings with a hydrometer. If you don't have one, get one (less than $10). SG readings the same for a few days in a row means it is pretty well done. Since the wine was begun July 12, assume it is finished fermenting. If it is still bubbling, it is from an accidental malolactic fermentation. I would sulfite it now with k-meta or campden tablets at the normal dosage of 1 tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons of wine. That will raise the free sulfites level to a level that will stop further microbial activity. Wait for a week or so and monitor any further bubbling. If it ceases and is clear, then bottle it.

APPLEMAN,THAT IS ONE GREAT WEBSITE YOU HAVE,VERY NICELY DONE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
smiley31.gif

thanks appleman. that really helped....
yea fert has stopped a while a go, looks like

so the one i put less sugar, i think i had a SG of 1.085ish, like i said i am trying to remember. well i dont like the taste at all. very alcoholic. this one had a yeast that went much longer...think the dark red package, though took 2 packets because it didnt start in the first 2-3 days.

anyway, my thought on this batch is to sulphite and add syrup made from leftover frozen fruit and or simple sugar while i am waiting for the sulphite 3-7 days before bottling, this way i can add a little and see how it tastes before bottling....is this right?

thanks

I would consider White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead or Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast as it is much better in terms of fermentation and color. I mean while making plum wine from these two I can prefer using any one type.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

ryangws you have one more step if you plan on sweetening after fermentation. You also need to add sorbate as well. K-meta and sorbate work together to prevent the added sugar from fermenting also. It only takes about a half teaspoon per gallon, but varies some by manufacturer. If you don't add the sorbate, it can referment anytime and that can pop the bottles.

k so i bottled the first batch, is really nice and sweet, abv 15.34%

i am bottling the second batch today
added k meta and sorbate last weekend so they have been sitting in the bottling bucket after racking.

this batch is the one that tastes very alcohol. i am not sure on the SG so i am going to have to guess.

any suggestions for back sweeting?
i have about 8-9# of plums from the batch i am thawing and going to simmer them down. do i need to add anything to it?

thanks

anyone?

the fruit has been cooking on ths stove for about a half hour now.

its really thick, i am guessing strain it though a strainer, maybe cheese cloth?

Just adding the reduced fruit juice will add flavor, but not much sweetness....You may have to add some simple syrup to get it sweet tasting wine...

thanks burt.

am i correct in straining the fruit after boiling before adding to wine

I would....but adding it may still cloud your wine, may have to let set awhile to clear again....

yea i am going to let it settle again and rack it before bottling

i did a test and liked about 2000ml of simple sugar and 1500 of plum juice pack.

but i only had 400ml of simple sugar and i only made 650 of plum juice pack.

i will taste it in a min.

i did stir it

it definitely tastes better, my GF likes it but i want it sweeter, so i think i am going to add some cane sugar tomorrow

Go slow and easy with the sugar and stop just below where you think you would really like it as it willget sweeter with some aging on it and you could get it too sweet.

That would be an awfully lot of sugars to add back to it- much more than normally needed and would definitely make it a dessert style wine. I'm with Waldo here and wouldn't add a lot. That 400 ml seems like it would have been enough and the fruit was from 8-10 pounds which should have been plenty for the whole batch.

Latest posts

Back