5Gal or 6Gal carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help so far i am feeling more confident thanks to your responses. The next question i have might be subjective but i was told by some to secondary ferment in a 6 gal carboy when doing a mm kit and then transfer to a 5 gal and reserve the left over for top up. Then someone else says use a 6 gal for both ? Then i'm told the kit in reality only makes 5 and three quarter gallons so you will have to end up with a five for the proper head space which would mean 25 bottles instead of 30? Can someone shed some light on this as i am about to embark with the barolo all juice and really need to know what i am going to use.

I use a 6 gal. and need about a half bottle to top up afer the first racking and about half of that on the second racking.

Paul

It really depends on how well you rack off sediment cause Ive never really needed to top off any kits. If you are very careful and patient then there really is no need to top up a kit wine.

wade said:
It really depends on how well you rack off sediment cause Ive never really needed to top off any kits. If you are very careful and patient then there really is no need to top up a kit wine.

unless you have an italian 6 gallon carboy
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back