50 lbs Scuppernong whats the recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only thing it'll cost you is gas to get all you want.

Sirs how long do we have before all the grapes are gone or are they already gone for this year?

So if you are following along with my blog I started working with the grapes yesterday. It took until this morning before they were all thawed out. This morning I poured them all into a 6 gallon primary fermenter lined with a straining bag. I did have to take some of the hulls out so that it would have room to ferment. I was expecting more juice from 50 lbs but it is looking like I will end up with barely 5 gallons, but we shall see. The TA was .65% and the SG was 1.060 so I added enough simple syrup to bring the SG up to 1.096. I was shooting for 1.090 but over did it just a tad. I didn't do anything with the TA because I think that .65% should be about right or am I wrong? It is still a little cold for the yeast to get going but I think by tomorrow it should be rolling along. Oh yeah I did add yeast nutrient, 5 tsp one per gallon before I read your post Sirs. Hopefully it wont hurt anything. If it don't start by Tuesday morning I will be pitching some EC-1118 yeast.

they are just starting to get ripe and if they do like last year will be there till at least 2 good frost

Lol a crap load. Almost home and I'll post a couple pictures

Ok here are some pics of the muscadines that Eddie, Mike and I picked yesterday. The first pic is of Muscadine Red, the second it to give you an idea on how big they are, the third pic is of nobles and as you can see there are still a lot that needs to ripen, the fourth pic shows another row of nobles. There are rows and rows of grapes. My only dissapointment was there was no Petit Verdot.

We had a great time, even thou Eddie had to get wet, :)

Muscadine red.JPG

Muscadine Red1.JPG

Noble.jpg

Noble1.JPG

Last edited:
there's probly about 2 or more acres like this think there is enough lol

Another pic of big reds
319214_10150313746293030_710528029_8359228_576187785_n.jpg

A pic of the nobles not to many is there??

294195_10150313747433030_710528029_8359229_495018118_n.jpg

Sirs I will let ya know something this afternoon about comming out that way tomorrow or Sunday. It is about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive for me, so I will have to leave pretty early to try and make a day of it. Not to mention I still don't know where I am going to put them yet, LOL. Everything is full every carboy and primary is full, the freezer only has one shelf left and if I take that the wife will have a fit. What to do What to do, the brain is turning and new rubbermaid totes are on the horizon I think.

Sirs I will let ya know something this afternoon about comming out that way tomorrow or Sunday. It is about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive for me, so I will have to leave pretty early to try and make a day of it. Not to mention I still don't know where I am going to put them yet, LOL. Everything is full every carboy and primary is full, the freezer only has one shelf left and if I take that the wife will have a fit. What to do What to do, the brain is turning and new rubbermaid totes are on the horizon I think.

Boy can I relate, you better start bottling. You know if you would make wine to her liking she would clean out the freezer so you could have the whole thing. :tz

I have only made one wine that she really likes, a few that she will drink but one that she actually asked me to open a bottle of, and that was this years strawberry. Now if she would clean it out so that we could fill it with strawberries that would work, because I could hide other things behind them, lol.

You guys are makining me sic (home sick) As I have taking this job in Wheeling, WV, I am missing all the muscadine picking. Last years wine is GONE.

You guys are makining me sic (home sick) As I have taking this job in Wheeling, WV, I am missing all the muscadine picking. Last years wine is GONE.

Sorry Steve, don't mean to make you homesick but then again we in the north don't get this opportunity often, so all I can say is come visit me, I'll share a bottle or two with you and feed you as well, :db

well if he screws up his wine on my account he's got plenty now to make up for it

This is correct Sirs
Now I just hope I dont screw up these, lol.
I did stop and buy a paint mixer to put on my drill, and that worked ok but didn't crush all of the grapes. I figure I will give them the night to sit and hit them again tomorrow with it and maybe it will atleast bust the skins enough to let the yeasties in.

Here is the run down
5 x 5 gallon buckets
1 bronze
2 big red muscadines
2 noble muscadines
The bronze readings came in as 1.046 SG and .65% TA
I added 1 gallon of water and 1300 grams of sugar to bring the final SG reading up to 1.082.
The big reds readings came in as
(bucket# 1) 1.040 SG and .70% TA
Added 1 gallon of water and 1300 grams of sugar to bring the final SG up to 1.080
(bucket# 2) 1.052 SG and .60% TA
Added 1 gallon of water and 1200 grams of sugar to bring the final SG up to 1.086

The 2 buckets of Nobles were put in a friends fridge until I can get some more sugar, I thought I had another 25 lb bag but didn't. I will get it tomorrow and finish the nobles up and post those readings.

I will be doing all of these the Eddie way, lol, using natural yeast. Partly because he says these do good with the natural yeast and partly because I dont have but 2 sackets left, lol. I will be making a blog about these and posting the couple of pics I took while I was there.

Eddie Thanks Again
I will be waiting to hear about the other vineyard after they run the pickers. I will make another trip to help you get yours if I can get some merlot. If I cant I would still make the trip just to help ya. The only thing is the next trip I will be staying the night somewhere. 9 hours of round trip driving is exhausting even if your used to alot of driving.

Sorry Steve, don't mean to make you homesick but then again we in the north don't get this opportunity often, so all I can say is come visit me, I'll share a bottle or two with you and feed you as well, :db

I may just do that Julie. They have moved me up to Jefferson County, Ohio and I may move accomadations up to Stubenville, OH which is only 39 mins from there. You aren't much further from what Map quest is telling me. I'll PM you as soon as I can find a weekend I'm not working.

Thanks for the hospitality offer. :r

I may just do that Julie. They have moved me up to Jefferson County, Ohio and I may move accomadations up to Stubenville, OH which is only 39 mins from there. You aren't much further from what Map quest is telling me. I'll PM you as soon as I can find a weekend I'm not working.

Thanks for the hospitality offer. :r

Yep, Steubenville is just about 45 minutes from here as well. Just the opposite direction. I think a weekend lunch may be in order.

Back