5 gallon carboy vs 6

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no reason to have a 5 gallon carboy that I can see, unless you are making wine in 5 gallon batches.

To use as a secondary for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Many brewers like me still do a secondary...depends on the style and clarity I can get in a long primary.

Nothing wrong with racking to 6 gal carboy either, as most beer secondary isn't long enough for oxidation to matter in the added headspace.

that said, 5 gal carboys are LOTS cheaper at my LHBS than 6 or 6.5 gal demi-johns. I primary in buckets, secondary in glass carboys, which let me see how the clearing process is going.

Using a secondary is personal choice, I have never had any problems leaving my beer in primary for up to 1 month after done fermenting. and that is about as clear as any beer will ever need to be. That being said there is no problem at all with racking to carboy, just another step IMO and I dont mind I I accidently rack just a little trub to the keg while transferring as it will settle very fast in the keg. Using a carboy to ferment beer can be risky even with a blow off tube. If you are going to do that youd better get a 1" blow off tube or you will be risking a big mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using a secondary is personal choice, I have never had any problems leaving my beer in primary for up to 1 month after done fermenting. and that is about as clear as any beer will ever need to be. That being said there is no problem at all with racking to carboy, just another step IMO and I dont mind I I accidently rack just a little trub to the keg while transferring as it will settle very fast in the keg. Using a carboy to ferment beer can be risky even with a blow off tube. If you are going to do that youd better get a 1" blow off tube or you will be risking a big mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to buy a couple five gallon carboys anyways. It will make bottling easier and I want to make some skeeter pee. My birthday is coming up so I'll ask my girlfriend for a burner and a brewpot. I don't think my ceramic range will hang.

For doing partial boils the ceramic range will do fine as thats what we have and Ive used it many times doing mini mash kits. We wont tell the lady though as that stuff will come in handy especially when you go all grain due to the love of brewing.

Haha. Absolutely not. I'm only 25 but I've never really been big into hobbies. I've always done a lot of activities such as running. I've ran a marathon. I've liked hiking. Do that a bunch in the summer. Snowmobile in the winter. Never been much of a collector but I think this was the hobby that wins. I just tried my Riesling that wont clear worth **** but it tastes pretty great. Like Riesling. So yep. Making alcohol just might be my thing. :try

Have you tried using SuperKleer Kc on that Riesling? If using a clearing agent I find this one works the best and usually very fast also.

I just used the bag in the kit. Should I pick up a bottle of that or should I just wait another month?

If you are talking about the SuperKleer its a 2 pouch product that is sold at just about any LHBS and I alwayts keep some on hand. It also is the same product that comes in RJ Spagnols wine kits. I would just give your wine more time now as using multiple fining agents can strip your wine of some color and flavor. Ive had to use 2 different fining agents twice now and really didnt notice much a difference if any so dont panick if you have to do so. The two times Ive had to do it were with W.E. kits, One was a Mist kit and the other was the Peach Ice wine.

Back