3rd year pruning.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcopolo

Junior
Reaction score
So i've established the framework for my vine over 3 years (The vine was actually aged 2 when I bought it.). It looks like this in my greenhouse (see attachment). The problem is i'm now not sure what to prune or leave on the vine. So i've got the following questions.

The vine is already covered in embryo bunches, laterals and sublaterals of new wood and pleny of leaves. The growth is frightening this year!!

1/ There's in the region of 25-30 embryo bunches. How many and where about on the vine should I keep them from the diagram?. If I remove the unused fruit should I also stop the leader shoots? (I think i'm allowed to keep 3-5 bunches of grapes)

2/ On the non fruiting new stems how many leaves should I keep?

grapevine.jpg

I have no real idea what type of training you are going for there, but yes take most of the fruit off the vine this year. What are those three canes of old wood? Is that the structure of the vine? Do you have a model you are using for this? Just curious.

This year I was going to take fruit from those vertical permanent canes (and probably not any from the horizontal permanent cane just above the staging) By the way they are not actually vertical. They slope up to the apex of the roof.

So the plan was so grow this years shoots about 2-4 off either side of those vertical permanent canes and next years fruiting wood would form a grid which would then become the final permanent structure of the vine all at the back of the greenhouse facing south.

I didn't really have a model I just tried to think how I could best train and tie the permanent wood.

Sorry it looks like I posted in winemaking where I should have posted in the other section.

So i'm in Scotland, Edinburgh. However I brought my whole greenhouse on early with heaters and growlamps (mainly for my other plants) in early March and the grapevine sprung into life around Mar 20th. Since then it has gone crazy!!!!! Growing very fast.

So i'll take most of the fruiting embryos off.

But in terms of laterals and sublaterals, no. of buds and leaves left on etc..for this years new growth how should I train/prune to keep it in check?

You are doing something I am not familiar with so I can't help you. Just remember that when you cut a shoot, it sends out laterals and gets bushier- not necessarily a good thing.

Back