35 Gallon of Muscadine wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I just finished my 35th gallon of Muscadine wine that is either in the fermenter or Carboy. I did this in 5 gallon batches made from pure juice, no water added. I steamed juiced every gallon and picked every muscadine that went in the 35 gallon of juice with the help of my wife. We did not count but we probably picked 80-90 gallon of muscadines to get 35 gallon of juice. This is guess of course since we did not keep a count. I'm tired of making wine and ready for a change of venue. So far this year I have made:
35 gallon of Muscadine
5 gallon of Peach
5 gallon of Blackberry
5 gallon of Strawberry

Wow, that is a very good accomplishment and don't worry a month from now you will be looking at something else to ferment. :i

Tired of making wine?? C'mon you're just getting started!:b

After picking that much muscadines and doing all those batches, I can see where you've had enough. When you start to reap what you sow, you'll be reminded of why you did it in the first place. The cycle may just start all over again. Probably not anytime soon though! Congrats!

I am excited to try Muscadine. My first year I have produced Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Barbera, Hand picked Strawberry, Hand Picked Tomato and have locally fresh pressed Apple in the primary. I can't stop. As a side note I grew my own fennel this year for sausage, had so much extra I made Annisette. Greta hobby.

hmmmm 90 gallon of muscadine we picked more than that a couple weekends ago in one day..... year before last we did that 10 times or more all together not to mention all the other things we'd got. Muscadines are awesome grapes to pick and once you try your own wine you'll probably be like me and want to go get all you can once they're ripe

I have my own muscadine vinyard. I was fortunate enough to visit Bill Ison many years ago at Ison's nursery while he was still living. He and Dr. Fry bred some excellent varieties of Muscadines. I think I have some of the best ones. When I get what I want off the vinyard I just let the neighbors and friends come in and pick what they want. People ask why I don't sell them but that is not the plan.

I ordered 8 different varieties of muscadines from Ison's, including their own Ison's variety. Looks like the Carlos does the best in our climate.

I ordered 8 different varieties of muscadines from Ison's, including their own Ison's variety. Looks like the Carlos does the best in our climate.

Pruning them properly is the key. Please use the single wire trellis with support post every 20 feet. Use Bill Ison's trellising method and don't let anyone talk you into any other method. Also, never use any kind of manure to fertilize the vines. It will kill the vines rather quickly. Make sure that you order several good self polinating vines with those that need polinators. They are fairly trouble free if you take care of them. Be sure not to plant them on flat land. Make sure you have some drainage or elevation. Muscadines do not like " wet feet and that too will kill them". They also need full sun. I think you will do well with Ison's vines.

I think the Hawaii climate is just too wet for muscadines to flourish. I used half compost and half dirt when planting them. That may have been a mistake. I was so worried about keeping in moisture.

Latest posts

Back