3 Gallon Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
If I was going to make a 3 gallon batch of wine (which I am), what size primary should I use? I can't find a 3 gallon primary anywhere. I can find 3 gallon carboys everywhere.

I wouldnt use anything smaller than a 5-gallon primary for a 3-gallon ferment.. Splashes during "punchdown", foaming from adding nutrients - always want a bit of play room.

I try not to fill my fermenters more than 2/3 of the way full

i agree with deezil, 5 gallon minimum if your using juice but if your using fresh fruit then you may even want to go bigger

Ok. Thanks guys!!!! I guess it would be ok the use a 3 gallon secondary to keep down on the amount of air that's in there right?

Air is not really a concern in the primary. Actually the yeasts need air in the primary. Once the SG drops <1.030 +/- , transfer into a 3 gal carboy and fit an airlock.

Also, just out of curiosity. I purchased a kit. The instructions do not mention daily stirring. I still need to stir daily right? I just want to make sure.

I would probably stir. I have never done a kit, tho. Most on here say to just follow the manufactures instructions. One of the joys of winemaking, you get to make it however you want. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks Arne! I've learned from making skeeter pee, that stirring is best. I'm curious is it is the same thing with grape wine.

Back