3 gal carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
smiley5.gif
I just received a reisling ice wine style kit. It is a 3 gal kit. Can I use a 6 gal carboy or do I have to get a 3 gallon carboy?

You really need a 3 gallon carboy or another kit and make a 6 gallon batch

Get the 3 gallon carboy as there are a few 3 gallon kits you will want to try most likely. I held off for 2 years before getting mine until the i wanted to do the La Bodega Port kit and the Sherry kit. I did a dble batch of the Choc. Rasp. Port and glad I did as its flying off the shelf to friends.

I am glad hannabarn asked this question...since I made a 3 gallon kit using 5 gallon carboys and let it bulk age for several months. I have tasted it and it tastes good, but I suppose it won't last as long on the shelf due to oxidation.

Is that correct? Or what else are the down sides to it?

I often make a 6 gallon batch and then after degassomg and stabilizing, i rack tp 2-- 3 gallon carboys for aging. I can get 3 gallons to bottle after a few months to drink and for gifts while the other 3 gallons bulk ages longer.
I have 3 now and wish i had more

laney, Hopefully there was not to much damage done but this is how we get into trouble like developing wine flowers. Not sure how much shelf life you have taken from this batch and hopefully its not much.

Latest posts

Back