2stage euro finings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8zins

Reaction score
Looking for an opinion on the 2 stage euro finings. Wines are pretty clear but I see a little haze beaming thru when I shine a flashlight. I'm afraid that if I use these finings I might end up with more haze since there's not much sediment to grab onto. The guy at the wine supply shop says stage 2 chitosan will precipitate out suspended kieselol from stage 1 and can be done soon before bottling. My wines are chard, cab Sauv, and merlot from Regina. in the past I have fined one racking after secondary before long term aging but I presume with so much co2 and it had a hard time clearing. Got a vacuum pump and no co2 at all now. Current wines have never been previously fined and are 2011's Any opinions out there?

There are times that gentle and time is way better. I think from what you describe this is one as you do not want to create a finning haze. These become permanent. I would do a cold stabilization instead. This will given time drop out any haze particulate and in a natural way to do this it just takes some time.

Yes, a fining haze is what I'm afraid of. Unfortunately I blew my opportunity on the cold stabilization due to the heat wave here in Buffalo. I wanted to wait til early spring in my garage cause I didn't want slushies in January but it never really got that cold here. I'm not in a hurry since I have about 10 carboys from 2010 yet to bottle, but I'm anxious to see how my 2011 chard turned out with the oak and MLF

Ok I am going to recommend Bentonite. Bentonite is one of the best fining's as it not only attracts opposite charges ions but it will absorbs proteins. From what you describe I believe you have a protein haze. I am not going to recommend what kind of Bentonite to use as there are many and I do not know what is available in your area. I would not use the one with added carbon though. Put about 3 tbs of dry Bentonite into a bowl add about three cups of very hot water and whisk this mixture hard until the Bentonite is well mixed take about 1/2 cup of this and pour it into you carboy on top of your wine and mix this into your wine.make sure your sulfite levels are correct before you stir. allow this to sit and fall out rack off and your wine should be clear. here is a great link on using Bentonite. http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FS/FS-53-W.pdf

Latest posts

Back