Advice needed to correct Degassing fowlup!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman_ii

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used bentonite on two batches that I am making in parallel, and it cleared a bunch of stuff, then I used Keisesol and Chitosan, and it didn't clear for crap... worked wonders last time, and trying to figure out what went wrong. The only difference is that last time, the wine had sat a LONG time, and was not in need of degassing, this time it was just a bit out of secondary, and had plenty of CO2 entrained in solution. Last time I did this, there was a virtual explosion of floculated material, I knew something was amiss when that didn't happen this time.

I degassed this morning, but the question now is, will the keisesol and chitosan in solution still drop out floculatted particulates, or do I need to re-dose? And for that matter, is re-dosing safe?
(so much for expediting before x-mas)

Thank you in advance!

The K&C will probably do its job. It's still in suspension and with the CO2 gone, it should settle. This may happen quickly, or it may not -- ignore the wine for a week to see what happens.

In most cases, repeatedly dosing with fining agents can adversely affect the wine, e.g., particles you want to keep are precipitated, such as color. I haven't found a lot of detailed research on K&C so I can't say what a new dose will do. Personally? Don't use another fining agent until the wine is refusing to clear a month from now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back