2nd. Run Wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
Has anyone done a 2nd run wine from pressed skins? I just tasted a cab from this year's press, (in seconday), and wow! Very drinkable, a little thin but I would put it right up there with a VR Cab I did last year.

I have. I used a Zinfandel kit and added skins from my Petit Sirah.I also added Cab skins to a Cab Franc juice. Both are turning out very nice. I could definitely tell the skins were in there. I have pressed skins vacuum sealed in the freezer from Syrah that I plan to add to a Petit Sirah kit or juice.

I have also added skins to Kits, but this 2nd run was don from the skins from this years press only. He add skins, water sugar and yeast and refermented those skins.

Last year I used the skins from my PS & Zin for a second run. Instead of wine I made a pyment.

How many cups or pounds of skins per gallon would one want to use for second run wine? Would second run wine work with white grape skins? Normally, white wine isn't fermented on the skins. How long would you leave the white skins in, before pressing them out?

Great idea to freeze the skins. I plan to do this on my next batch with skins. The first time I threw skins away I was a bit depressed at the waste. Now I know better.

I made seconds last year from my Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and from Zinfandel and both have turned out pretty well. Because of the lower amount of tannins they are coming around much earlier than the first run. This year I am makinig seconds from Cab Sauv, Zin, Syrah and Petite Syrah as well. As an experiment I took 5 gallons of Cab Sauv Grapes and 5 gallons of Petite grapes, threw them togetherand ran them through a third time. We'll see how it turns out. I have tasted third run wines before and they were not too bad at all.

Latest posts

Back