2015 Chilean grapes... woot-woot!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the Pinot Grigio, you don't necessarily need anything but could add (1) 15 ounce box of Sunmaid Golden Raisins.

For the Cab Sav, you can add (1) 15 ounce box Sunmaid Zante Currants.

For the Pinot Noir, you can add (1) 15 ounce box Sunmaid Zante Currants.

I would put them in a sanitized mesh bag during fermentation. This quantity should enhance but not overwhelm your wine.

So do you use the Sunmaid brand of raisins since they aren't coated in oil? Do you need to rinse them or soak them in a kmeta solution before adding to the fermenter?

I AM SO PSYCHED!!!!!

I recently placed an order of 20 crates of Chilean Syrah grapes.

$26.50 per 18lb crate.

I really wanted Pinot Noir. But as we all know that particular grape variety can be very finicky.

What I may do is place a second order and purchase 4 crates to see how it comes out.

Last edited:
So do you use the Sunmaid brand of raisins since they aren't coated in oil? Do you need to rinse them or soak them in a kmeta solution before adding to the fermenter?

Don't soak them. Adding any sulfite will just make the fermentation more difficult. In fact, if I have the opportunity, I use organic raisins to minimize the sulfite. If I'm not mistaken, the 'regular' stuff has added sulfite.

Okay, I'll see what my local grocery store has when I go there this afternoon. I'm usually in the organic isle anyway checking for gluten free options for one of my kids, just have never taken notice what they have available.

Will check online if local stores/clubs come up empty. Thanks for the replies.

Just in case, thought I'd mention that my zante currants come in a much smaller box. I've never seen 15 oz on those. Also, I add a couple ripe bananas to both white and red juice buckets to help with mouth feel. I recently learned why many sources say to add skins also when doing this. The skin has some natural amylase in it to help cut thru the starch haze that I've I've been fighting afterwards in my white wines.

If you add all fruit in bags then add first kmeta dose I feel that sterilizes all added fruit at the same time. I often add fruit from my backyard or even dried fruit that used only kmeta at this time also.

Pam in cinti

Oh, and apologies to JohnT for hijacking the thread. Not my original intent.

Latest posts

Back