2012 Strawberry Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Got 300#'s of strawberries today for $.99 per #.

Aldi's has them at that price - wal-mart price matched them!!

Sweet.....I saw a place in the strip district of pgh yesterday for $1.00/lb or $5.00 for the flat of 8. I was out walking at lunchtime or else I would have considered picking them up. they looked real good to.

I was able to order mine from wal-mart - so they were not sitting in the back for days.

They are really red, big and juice!!! Wal-mart carries the Dole brand - which is a really nice strawberry..

Just finished pitting and slicing 304 #'s of strawberries.

Freezing now - then it is off to the primary!!

After dethawing and pressing - i kicked off the fermentation about a week ago.

Racked one primary today (24 gallons) into secondary carboys to finish fermenting - SG was 1.006.

The other primary's SG was at 1.030 - not quite ready to rack over.

The 7 gallons of steamed/fermented on pulp srtawberry has a beautiful red collor at this point. I'm thinking I'll end with 5.5 / 6 gallons pre back sweetening. My peach is showing no signs of clearing after 2+ months. Might be time to add some clarifiers.

The 7 gallons of steamed/fermented on pulp srtawberry has a beautiful red collor at this point. I'm thinking I'll end with 5.5 / 6 gallons pre back sweetening. My peach is showing no signs of clearing after 2+ months. Might be time to add some clarifiers.

Strawberry is not as red as I would like to see - but it is still in fermentation - so sediment is still being flushed around in there.

Hoping once it starts to clear the red will shine thru better.

Smells great right now though!!

After dethawing and pressing - i kicked off the fermentation about a week ago.

Racked one primary today (24 gallons) into secondary carboys to finish fermenting - SG was 1.006.

The other primary's SG was at 1.030 - not quite ready to rack over.

How did you press them? Did you use a wine press? Did you use the juice from the pressing only, or all of it? What part did you steam?

How did you press them? Did you use a wine press? Did you use the juice from the pressing only, or all of it? What part did you steam?

I don't steam mine. I just freeze, thaw, and press, by the time that is done - not much left to steam.

I put the berries in a straining bag and used pectic to help break them down.

I didn't ferment with the berries this year - just the juice.

Sediment is dropping out and it is turning a nice red color :h

So i just destoned 72#s of the ripest, sweetest peaches.

I got them for $0.50 per pound!!!

They were from Campbell, MO - very good peaches!!

Freezing them now - will start making this in a couple weekends....

so why do we freeze fruit before making the must??? what are the benefits of freezing over just using fresh fruit

Freezing makes any water within in the fruit expand - basically ripping the fruit up with tiny shreds.. So when you thin it out, the liquid can flow out of those small tears, easier than it could if the fruit were fresh

Freezing makes any water within in the fruit expand - basically ripping the fruit up with tiny shreds.. So when you thin it out, the liquid can flow out of those small tears, easier than it could if the fruit were fresh

Yup - it helps them juice better when thawed out.

Just finished pitting and slicing 304 #'s of strawberries.

Can i ask what kind of difference it makes if you dont pit/core the strawberries? I've seen talk of doing it with & without the core, but not what difference it makes

Can i ask what kind of difference it makes if you dont pit/core the strawberries? I've seen talk of doing it with & without the core, but not what difference it makes

To be honest - i don't know. I have always cored them.

This year however i did not ferment with the skins - i gave it a decent press and fermented the juice only.

I just found the taste of the skins to much - so far I actually like the wine better - it is still early - but the flavor is very good...

Still have to make the peach wine though and blend it. Think i will do that next weekend.

Busy with the Sav. Blanc and Pinot Noir.

Back