2012 Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SG Readings

R-HST : 1.072
W15 : 1.078

Will add the additional 2.5g Fermaid-O to each carboy, when i wake up in the AM/Nooner

I've been thinking about what you said about the challenges of keeping RS, especially if you done backsweeten and it seems a little too challenging for my first time as well. I'm going to try your route of fermenting until dryness or off sweetness.

Very curious about the differences between R-HST and W-15. Those are my top two yeast choices as well. How much are they foaming currently?

Keep the updates coming!

In went the Fermaid-O - 2.5g per carboy

CIMG2722_zps31e3b047.jpg

Very little foam, on both of these yeasts

CIMG2723_zps9701fc99.jpg

CIMG2724_zps508306ce.jpg

Also took a picture of a 1-gallon, that i've just been letting sit... It has some juice that gathered on top, i've been keeping an eye on it just to see what the color of the wine might be when its all said and done.. Here's what i'm lookin at

CIMG2727_zps7a49994f.jpg

Hows the color? Look like a Riesling or no?

Last edited:
SG Readings:

R-HST : 1.056
W15 : 1.060

Cruisin on along..

Had a slight H2S smell this morning, guessing it was from not adding the Fermaid-O last night & i didnt realize that R-HST was "medium"-need on nitrogen levels.. Did some hefty-stirring and it went away after the dose of Fermaid-O

The W15 on the other hand, has had a steady 1/4" of foam on it, since i took the "oh its not foaming very much" picture this morning / added the Fermaid-O.. Hasnt grown over 1/4", but hasnt gone away either

How are you measuring your SG? I'm curious if you take a sample, strain most of the solids, then add the hydrometer or use another method.

Hmm, I didn't realize R-HST was medium need for nitrogen also. Where did you learn about that?

Also surprised you got a slight H2S smell. Any idea why?

I use a fermtech wine theif to draw a sample up & its big enough that the hydrometer slides right into it.. So i draw the sample into the wine thief, plunge the hydrometer down into the liquid several times to displace a bunch of the CO2, then take a reading once spinning it free of anything clinging on

I was surprised at the H2S smell i got, so i did some investigating and ended up on Lallemand & Scotts Lab websites looking at the characteristics of the wine yeast again, when it finally popped out at me where it said "Nitrogen needs: Medium".. And a lightbulb went off

The H2S smell was probably from lack of nitrogen / lack of nutrients / aka the yeast were starting to starve.. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering a steak dinner and all they bring you is your salad and some corn - you'd probably do some unwanted things too :)

It's been interesting following your progress. We are still waiting for our Riesling grapes to ripen more. I checked them earlier in the week and they were 17 Brix and 2.9ph. With the rains here now, I am not sure how much more they will ripen. I am going to let them hang until they either get up to 19 Brix and 3.1 ph or they start showing signs of rot, at which point I will bring them in and deal with it.

Yeah its cloudy & showers here for atleast the next 10 days [as i type, i see blue skies and sunshine (only in PNW!)] on the news, i dunno how much more sun you'll see unless you happen to be in the rain-shadow of some mountains

How many vines do you have hanging? I cant wait to plant some, i imagine they'll all be cuttings from the 2 plants i have out-back

We have 64 Riesling vines, they are 4 years old. It looks like there is about 50lb of fruit on them. Might have enough for a 3 gallon batch.

Sounds like a nice place to be, will be interesting to see how they progress the next few years

SG Readings :

R-HST : 1.030
W15 : 1.026

The R-HST appears to be trying to clear, cant have that... Added 1.25g Fermaid-O, this damn yeast has "hollow legs" i think

Last edited:
Is it possible to add "too much" yeast nutrients? Wondering what the rule of thumb is. I had no idea yeast required so much. Happy to hear the sulfur smell is gone though.

Yeah its possible to overdo the yeast nutrient, but every yeast is different & i've never used this one but it seems to hold up to the fact that its a "medium" need, wheras more other yeasts ive used & looked at, are "low" nitrogen need

If you think of fermentation as a line graph... DAP (man-made sythetic/inorganic source of nitrogen) leads to a line that has really hard spikes (like a heartbeat monittor) in it - the yeast crave the DAP first, when they find it - they love it & they go nuts - fermentation temps rise, yeast activity rises, the population peaks... But after they chow-down on it for a while, it leads to a "lag phase" when they run out, as they search for a new source of nitrogen...

When yeast feed on organic forms on nitrogen, they're more prone to a more-gradual, more-rounded fermentation where there isnt sharp peaks in yeast activity and must temp

After you're half way through the fermentation (not awake enough, pretty sure its 1/2 way), you dont want to add anymore DAP to your must because the yeast may not be able or may not be interested, in using it all.. & you dont want a bunch of excess DAP hanging around

You can add organic forms of nitrogen, when you can no longer add DAP - which is why its nice having both although i rarely use the DAP stuff

Last edited:
Thanks Deezil,

I'm excited to see what the difference is between both yeasts you're using and how they individually affect the qualities of the Riesling you're fermenting. Exciting stuff.

Just checked my email & had one waiting from another grower i contacted, letting me know he still had grapes & they're in cold storage... Was wondering if i wanted some still almost-delivered in early-Nov, and theres a high likelihood i'm going to say "yes" after some number-crunching (dont wanna leave him hangin, i know what that feels like)

So.. There's probably going to be a 2012 Riesling #2 :)

NOW what do i do!

Last edited:
What does 150lbs of Riesling grapes run for approximately? I have yet to figure that into my wine making budget. Still working on getting all my supplies to ferment and rack.

I paid $1/pound, but some were $.50/pound.. Just depends on who ya get them from, if you drive out to get them, if you wanna pick them yourself (next year)..

Back