Cellar Craft 2012 Bella Sonoma Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
Got this baby in the tank yesterday and let it get acquainted with that grape pack overnight and then pitched the hydrated yeast this morning. Using RC212 with some good nutrients.

Absolutely kills me to have to wait 3-4 years for this one. I understand for a Barolo or Amaroni, but wouldn't guess it with a medium-bodied pinot.

Oh, not sure if this is the Vineco influence or not, but the boxes are now more square or cubed.

I've got this one waiting on deck. 3-4 years wait? I don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

Who made that rule?

Especially with a Pinot Noir. They do not cellar well like a Cab Sauv. This guy should be fantastic at 18-24 months max.

Absolutely kills me to have to wait 3-4 years for this one. I understand for a Barolo or Amaroni, but wouldn't guess it with a medium-bodied pinot.

CC suggest the 3-4 year wait on their sell sheet for the Bella Sonoma Pinot.

"Sensory refinement and elegance will begin to develop after 12 months and should continue through the third or forth years of cellaring to become a very special Pinot."

I've tasted beautiful (commercial) pinot noirs aged 4-5 years that did not show well in their third year. Not all pinot are created equal though. Depends on the vintage. I'm making this kit too along with the En Primeur Dashwood pinot noir.

To me that doesn't say wait 3-4 years. Thats says it can be ready in as little as 12 months but will continue to evolve for up to 3-4 years. Pretty standard verbage for a high quality red kit. I am quite sure this kit will be a fantastic one to make but it will not be necessary to wait 3-4 years before you pop the first cork.

I agree with Mike's interpretation of the quote. Also, I may be reading something into it but it also says to me that after 3-4 years, it will start to decline.

I also agree with Mike. Should you want to have some of that wine around in 4 years, you will need to make sure you use a really good cork.

After a couple of years, Pinot smooths out more but tends to start loosing its fruit. Being a kit, I would start sampling this guy in 18 months (or less), but save a few bottles for later.

Starting SG?

DrJayman,

What was your starting SG? I've got mine in the primary and and have given it a good stir. First without the grape pack using my drill mounted stirrer to get the water and juice well blended and then added the grape pack with in the sock provided. Stired again manually to extract some of the juices out of the crushed grapes.

Starting SG = 1.105

does that seem like a good starting point or am I a little shy on water?

One thing is to make sure you added the juice to the bucket, and then added water to the 23L mark on the Primary. Then the grape pack goes on top of that so you end up with over 23L with the grape pack.

If you made it to the 23L mark with the grape pack then you need to add a little bit more water. Pull the grape pack out (hopefully you used the bag) check the level, add as needed to get to the 23L mark.

I'll check my log when I get home, but based on loose memory. You sound as though in the right neighborhood. I tend to do what mike says or maybe just a tad short as I will "reserve" a little of that water to heat up and use to extract what is left in grape pack after filling bag. This time however I filled.....then remembered and used just a small bit of warm water. Sure it won't make much difference.

I also on these let them sit with the pack in them for about 24 hours and do some regular stirs before taking an SG.

As for the 3-4 yrs, I'll read it again but had printed off the product info to store in my log. I will say I was surprised by that figure, but for whatever reason was how I interpretted it. PN isn't my favorite, but I'd be delighted based on how it is progressing, to get into it earlier.

Snapping the lid down?

I mine up to 23L then added the crushed pack. All is going well. SG this morning is 1.012. The instructions have you leaving everything in the primary for aprox. 10 days until the SG is below 1.000. Gone that far seems like a natural to let it fement dry in the primary. Conventional wisdom on WMT is snap the lid on the primary with airlock around 1.010. If I'm leaving the bag of grapes in the primary, do you open the lid and stir twice a day? Seems like that defeats the purpose.

Just let it float unattended for a few days? force it to stay on the bottom? Remove it? Or don't worry about snapping the lid down?

Glad to see this post as I received the same kit a couple of weeks ago. I plan to start mine soon. Hope you keep up your post so I can watch it as you go.

Just let it float unattended for a few days? force it to stay on the bottom? Remove it? Or don't worry about snapping the lid down?

I picked up an extra racking cane at the LBS, that I cut to fit diagonally inside my primary. Once the sg reaches ~1.010, I push the grape pack down w/the racking cane, snap lid shut, and fit with airlock (I also give it one final, gentle stir). I like to leave on the skins for 10- 14 days.
TS

Some folks weigh the bag down with a heavy glass jar of sorts. Whatever you can use to sink it means you don't have to punch it down. The old instructions had you pull it out on day 7. Now they are having you leave it in and basically ferment to dry in the bucket so snapping the lid down is highly recommended especially when fermentation has slowed to a crawl.

My Buon-Vino automatic bottle filler has a wire in the filling tube to make it easier to position. I assume it must be a stainless wire so it does not impact the wine. Would it be a bad thing to form this into a shape that will hold the grape pack down similar to troutstix's racking cane?

My Buon-Vino automatic bottle filler has a wire in the filling tube to make it easier to position. I assume it must be a stainless wire so it does not impact the wine. Would it be a bad thing to form this into a shape that will hold the grape pack down similar to troutstix's racking cane?

If you can detach it from the main body of the bottle filler, I'm sure you could bend it to make it work.

Are you talking about purchasing some stainless steel wire of sorts?

No, the buon vino auto filler has 3 to 4 foot piece of wire in the tube that goes into your bottling bucket. I was able to slip off the sediment tip and remove the wire. Formed the wire into a U-shape. The bottom of the U pushed the grape packdown and the upper portion rests against the lid.

What are the chances of the wire causing off flavors?

Latest posts

Back