2007 - what do you have in production

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black currant really seem to be a favorite. Is this sold in wine stores. I have read about wines that list the one of the flavors as black currants but never saw a wine that was only black currant?

masta - two questions. Did you skip the Cru Select Chocolate Orange Port? I didn's see it on your list and I know you mentioned you do all the special editions. just curious.

Do you make the pumpkin pie mead with fresh pumpkin? I'm wondering if you can make that with canned pumpkin. My wife wants to try that and doesn't want to wait until pumpkin season and beyond.

the Cru Select OJ Port was a limited run, but it was not really considered an RQ. And due to popularity, I think this might make a regular addition to the lineup. Unless they cannot source the grapes on a regular basis.

sangwitch said:
masta - two questions. Did you skip the Cru Select Chocolate Orange Port? I didn's see it on your list and I know you mentioned you do all the special editions. just curious.

Do you make the pumpkin pie mead with fresh pumpkin? I'm wondering if you can make that with canned pumpkin. My wife wants to try that and doesn't want to wait until pumpkin season and beyond.

I did skip the Chocolate Orange Port since I don't really care for port or ice wine for that matter. I have tried to enjoy it but I guess I don't have the acquired taste for it.

I did use fresh pumpkin for my mead and had some issues with water but got through it ok. I would say using canned pumpkin would work just fine. I trick I used when making pumpkin ale with canned pumpkin was to spread it out on a baking sheet and then put in a warm oven ~250F to help reduce some of the moisture and cook it a bitwhich helps to add the flavor profile.

Check out the pumpkin mead story:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=876&PN=1

If you make pumpkin wine from canned pumpkin mix, you could call it squash wine. Most canned pumpkin mix is really a type of squash. They have a creamier texture without the stringiness and water Masta describes. A normal jack-o-lantern type pumpkin doesn't make a very good pie - the water and strininess. The small sugar type pumpkins make a much better mix - higher in sugar, not the water problem and doesn't have the stringiness. The problem I see with using them is preparation time to skin them. Use hubbard squash or Atlantic Giant pumpkins, which are really squash. Imagine the wine you could get from a 500 pounder.
smiley36.gif

ScubaDon said:
The black currant really seem to be a favorite. Is this sold in wine stores. I have read about wines that list the one of the flavors as black currants but never saw a wine that was only black currant?

I've seen black currant and other fruit wines, but only at fruit stands and small wineries when we lived in CA. You can buy it off the Internet (assuming they can ship to you), here for example http://www.westhamislandwinery.com/wines/blackcurrent.htm

I can't believe that Bert hasn't posted a list for us yet!
smiley5.gif

There are a lot of great lists here!
smiley32.gif
Very impressive.

Well, my collection is not as extensive as some of you, but here goes..

In Primary
MM Amarone

Carboy
Wine Expert LE SA Shiraz
World Vineyard Cal Trinity

At my friend's house in Carboy
Wine Expert Luna Rosa

On deck to start
Wine Expert LE Verdelho
Wine Expert Oregon Pinot Noir

I feel so inadequate.
smiley19.gif

Just kidding. 6 gal RJS Grand Cru Merlot in bulk aging. Will probably bottle in the next few weeks.

Of course, when I win the Powerball tomorrow night I'll just send an 18-wheeler down to George.

Edited by: PeterZ

Sorry PeterZ...I just bought the winning Power Ball ticket a couple hours ago...I'll still remember all of you...
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

At Le Studio du Ellison:
glas.gif

I have.....this won't take a whole lot of space..

2 gallons bueberrry made from fresh berries.
3 gallons of raspberry blush (welches)
and tomorrow starting
VR Reisling
VR Mezza Luna Red....which I am looking forward to.

Next homemade is going to be at least 3 gallons of Green Tea-Ginger. (that is an interesting wine if you like floral wines)

blomst11.gif

Bonsoir, Ramona Edited by: rgecaprock

1. <LI>AUST. VERDELHO</LI>
    <LI>S. A. SHIRAZ</LI>
    <LI>IT. SANGIOVESE</LI>
    <LI>CHARD. / SEM</LI>
    <LI>CAB. SAUV.</LI>
    <LI>WHT. MERLOT</LI>

rgecaprock said:
Next homemade is going to be at least 3 gallons of Green Tea-Ginger.

Ramona, have you made this before? I wanted to make a green tea ginger mead and I was looking for a recipe. In my search I came across an article that saidgreen tea makes a bitter brew when steeped too long so I'm real interested in your experience with green tea in wine making. Edited by: sangwitch

Australian Shiraz

Cherry

Raspberry

Ice Wine

Chardonnay

Niagra

Sauvignon Blanc

Blackberry Port

Edited by: bmorosco

Sang,

I made a one gallon batch just to give it a try and I was very surprised. You can't taste the tea or the ginger. I think the golden raisins give it a nice body and the nose is floral which I like in a white wine. It had a nice light golden color. I back sweetened it a little and the florals came through. I didn't age it at all.....it went to fast!

Here is the recipe I used:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request216.asp

I think you will love it!

Ramona

At Wolf Vinyards, we currently have the following in production:

MM Amarone
MM Chianti
MM LaBodega Port
CC Rosso Fortissimo
CC Amarone
CC Pinot Nero
WE Trio Blanca
Blue Berry
Elite Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon
Orange Chocolate Port

With the following eagerly awaiting the primary fermenter:

WE Sel Valpolicella
WE Sel French Chardonnay
5 gal fresh Raspberry juice
MM Castel del Papa

(Wolf is my German Shepard and chief guardian of the 'vineyards')

Brubakes, Congratulations on starting your first batch, and welcome to the forum! Where are you in the process of that kit?

Not to worry brubakes.It may be your first but I assure you it will not be your last...Welcome to the forum

Welcome brubakes, glad to see you join us. Pretty soon you have a long list and light wallet!

Latest posts

Back