2 Different Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I am going to pick up a pail of pinot tonight. I was wondering if it be ok to split the pail into 2- 3gal fermenters and use 2 different yeast to ferment than blend it back to 6 gal. I have d-47 and wlp735 French white at home. Would this be better than just using 1 of the yeast and which 1 would you use?

Splitting into 2 batches is an excellent way to learn. You can taste each and determine which one you like best. Helps you become a better wine maker in the future.

I like to do this, especially when I like different characteristics from two different yeast strains. When yo blend them back together later, you get the best of each.

Thanks Robie, I think I will go ahead and split them......What a great hobby

I added the yeast this morning to the split batches. S/g was 1.090. I'm excited to see how they both will taste separately and than how they taste blended.

I was really looking forward to tasting this. This morning both batches were dry sg .994 so I racked them together in a 6 gal carboy. While moving to my storage area I lost my grip and it hit the floor. 6 gal. of wine and glass everywhere. I am so mad just because this my first experiment. Damn, now have to wait till next year.

You should get some milk.crates! The carbots fit in there really nice and also help keep your carboy off the floor so it doesnt suck the coolness out of the floor.

Just ordered 10 handles and found 2 crates. Hoping to avoid this in the future. Thanks

harleydmn said:
Just ordered 10 handles and found 2 crates. Hoping to avoid this in the future. Thanks

The winery I get my juice from cautioned that the bottoms of milk crates can break if you carry them with heavy carboys. They suggested cutting a piece of thin plywood to fit the bottom of the crate. They also cautioned me to only use the handles for carrying empty carboys - the neck can break off otherwise.

In the beginning, I was all for glass only. After reading this, better bottles are sounding more and more like better... bottles...

First time I have seen a caution about carrying full carboy with the handle. Is this an issue? I do it all the time but don't want a neck to break off.

It doesn't seem like they should break the carboy, but I figured better safe than sorry as the winery has handled a lot more carboys than I have.

I made carrying straps out of nylon webbing, similar to a commercial product called a "Brew Hauler." I have one that fits the 5 gallon carboys and one that fits the 3 gallon carboys.

I rarely lift a full 6g carboy. When I do, it's to move one to the other side of another on the bench, never a floor to bench lift. I do move 3g carboys to a separate place a few feet away.

I use vacuum for racking so I don't have to lift carboys after siphoning. A pump would also work for this, but can't be use to degas.

The point? A vacuum system is well worth the investment. They are multi-purpose and keep carboys and backs out of harm's way.

If was starting over, I would invest in the vacuum system before anything else.

Latest posts

Back