1st White Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I will be upfront about it. I am VERY new to making wine. I normally brew beer but have finally decide to branch out into wine making.

I have made a couple of batches of red wine. I don't make it from the grapes, I go to a local store and buy 6 gallons of juice.

I have quite a bit of red and was thinking about doing a white (possible a chardonnay). I was talking to some other wine-makers and they warned me about it being very hard to get clarity with the wine. One guy told me he tried to make a batch of white and when it was all said and done it was very cloudy. It tasted alright but when pouring a glass you would think twice about drinking it.

I haven't started the batch just yet, I was hoping to get more clarification of what this cloudiness is, and how can I avoid it?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!

Lots of thing can cause cloudiness. I have made alot of whites and they normally clear with time, when they don't use SuperKleer or other fining agent. It's about $2 and works very fast.

Welcome, if you get a chance drop by the introductions. I don't have any experience with juice buckets, however haze can be because he didn't allow it time to clear or possible a pectic haze. Pectic enzyme will help the latter. Times/finings will help the first. Others will chime in here soon.

I say go for it, and if you need help stop in here. There's alot of minds to pick in here and we're all pretty friendly. There's quite a few beer brewer's here too.

Wines will all clear on there own, just takes months or even a year, odds are is they rushed it. you should never bottle a cloudy wine.

Only Wine ive had trouble clearing is a Skeeter Tea, its not so much a "white" per say more of an Orange color. My whites, apple and reg skeeter pea all cleared nicely. Even my peach from fruit cleared after 6 months. The Tea will get pectic enzime added to it and if that doesn't do it then ill run it through my filter and bottle it, its just a summer time sipper and looks just like tea, just would like it to be crystal clear.

Welcome aboard!!

I do some whites, mostly local varietals, Chardonel, Seyval ,etc.

I have just bottled the seyval, and planning on bottling the chardonel soon.

Both are crystal clear - it has been about 9 months to date since i picked the grapes.

The cleared on their own and then i used a filter to put a polished finish to it.

Haziness/cloudiness can be from protein, pectin, superkleer will not clear these. Pectic enzymes will drop out the pectin haze. and bentonite will drop out the protein haze.

I always add the pectic enzymes in the primary, it aids in the extraction of juice and color in the skins and also aids in the fall out of pectin.

That is what the forum is here for.. Ask any and all questions - there is an abundance of knowledge in here.

Out of hundreds if not thousands of gallons of white wines, I have never had one remain cloudy for more than a few months. I have seen some people boil the grapes to get the juice and those are cloudy. I would never cook the juice as that is a sure way to mess it up- other than that they will clear with time. Have patience...................................

Ok, so my next question is...I would like my wine to be somewhat sweet. I tried a dry chardonnay and was not a fan. What yeast do you recommend?

I recommend leting it go go dry. Stabilize and backsweeten to your tastes.
I don't know what is the fav. yeast for Chardonnay though... I'm a fruit girl.:)

White kind of white wine are you making?

From grapes or a kit?

Chardonnay will do well with the lalvin D-47 - especially if you are planning on doing an MLF.

If not doing MLF - I would suggest the Red Star Cote Des Blanc.

I would finish to dry - stabilize it - then sweeten to taste.

so....a couple of you mentioned that I should ferment it dry and then backsweeten to taste. Can someone explain how I would backsweeten a wine?

draw out 2 cups of wine - add a cup of sugar - bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar - let cool to room temperature - stir back into wine.

u can use the winecalc app to determine the exact amount of sugar to add - then you can figure out the amount to extract.

Back