1st try at pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecilias9

Reaction score
Our pear trees are loaded down this year, so I thought I would try some pear wine. My first question is: Do I freeze the pears, or just steam them straight from washing? How small do they need to be chopped, and do I have to make sure there are no seeds in them when I steam them (I ask that because I read somewhere that seeds cause bitterness)?

Thank you.

Freeze everything regardless of if your steaming it or not. Freezing helps break down the cell walls of the fruit so that you get a bigger juice yield. Seeds generally do cause tannins and bitterness but I dont know if that is from heating the fruit with the seeds or fermenting on them. I think it is the later. When i do plums i usually just throw everything in my steamjuicer seeds and all and it comes out great.

I have never done a pear wine but maybe someone else has some good advise on how to make it. You should search multiple forums for good advise. Good luck!

+1 to freezing. I have not done a pear wine myself, but have heard of the massive amount of sediment they produce. Keep us posted......

Always freeze. I dont have a steamer so cant answer the seed question but would say it be ok if the seeds are not crushed. Ive made a pear wine once and didnt use enough pears for the flavor to come through enough but even them it tasted like a nice Chablis.

yes freeze you can leave the seeds in and the skin on them. Don't add water use streight juice. This will give you a wonderful pear flavor. I usually try to have 2 kinds of pears when possible like a bartlet and a cooking pear but it is not hard set rule.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I shall freeze the pears first. In doing so, I suppose they will be mushy when thawed and not need crushing, just steaming. Correct me if I am wrong...

That is correct. Make sure you steam enough fruit so you can use some as an F-pack later. You will probably have to add some acid blend because pears tend to be low in acid. After steam juicing if the juice sets in the fridge for a couple of days sediment will settle to the bottom. I then pour the juice off the sediment.Don't add any water use straight juice. If you place the pears in a sulfite solution as you cut them up it will help keep them from turning brown so fast then drain them and freeze them.

BOB

A little lemon juice on the pears as you cut them also helps stop oxidation as well as add much needed acid to the wine.

Pete

Not a problem, I'll be starting a new wine and a cheer tonight myself.

Pete

cecilias9 said:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I shall freeze the pears first. In doing so, I suppose they will be mushy when thawed and not need crushing, just steaming. Correct me if I am wrong...

Cut the pears in half, remove pit and seed then cube each half into4 pcs then freeze it.

Thank you, Waldo, I always like very specific instructions! Can't get any better than that! Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back