WineXpert 1st choice for a newbie?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepere

Reaction score
I am a nano second away from ordering a premier starter kit with an extra carboy. I also know I won't have the patience to wait a very long time totaste my first attempt. Knowing a beaujolais is usually best young and slightly chilled I'm leaningin that direction but,I'll take any suggestions to the contrary. Help anyone?

I have no experience with the Bergamais kit but from what I have read on this site it meets the requirements of a first kit: quick to bottle and minimal bottle aging required. Another red that you may also consider is the Bourgeron Rouge or the white Bourgeron Blanc. Welcome to the forum and enjoy that first kit.

Another good one, medium bodied dry red that you can add oak to, is the
Vintner's Reserve Mezza Luna Red. You can start drinking it withing 3
months, but it gets better with more time.

I had the same delimma just a few weeks ago, wanted to taste the results as quick as possible, so I understand. The suggestions above are good ones; you can't go wrong! I started the Bourgeron Rouge kit and found two things -- that it is a "quick" kit and that it is a GREAT learning experience. I'm at the bottling stage and in the last few weeks have learned SO much -- well, let me put it this way: You don't know...what you don't know!
smiley2.gif
Now, I'm perfectly willing touse the whole experience as part of myeducation. So, I'll try a bottle after a few weeks of letting it get over bottle shock (keeping notes!), try another maybe at 3 months (more notes!), and so on -- I'll "know" even more as a result!

And having been through my first kit, I now know MUCH more! You will too, so get ready for a great experience! (Oh, and the 2nd Pinot Noir kit is in the clearing and stabilizing stage and the Selection International Aussie Chardonnay gets started in a couple days!)

Welcome aboard!

I'd definitely recommend the extra 'boy, you'll be buying at least one more anyway so may as well get it out of the way. I'm still waiting for my first 2 kits to finish and even then they are still a good 3-9 months from being ready to drink. If you are looking for something that you can drink right away look at a lower end kit, if you don't mind waiting around 3 months then look at a Selection white. I chose a Selection Estate red for my first kit knowing it would be a good 9 months to a year to drink then a Selection white that I started soon after so that I can drink it in 3 months or so while the red ages. I have since become insane and bought2 more 6 gallon 'boys, 2 1 gallon apple juice jugs and acquired a 4 gallon primary for my fruits, currently fermenting raspberry, mmmmmmm. Bilbo recommended the Mezza Luna and I have heard nothing but good about it and it is on my short list of ones to try after I get the ones I want done.

Steve

Welcome Pepere to fun hobby....As far as wine kits..the Island Mist kits are ready to drink when bottled [low alcohol] nice summer drink....just about any of Winexpert Reserve are drinkable in a few weeks after bottleing [after bottle shock] but most get better with some time [3 months or more]...Have fun and enjoy..
smiley2.gif

I've been following this forum for awhile now and I am amazed at the response and support "newbies" receive. Thanks for the suggestions and I will be ordering later today, that is, when George awakes and arrives. Being on the east coast I've got to give him a chance to get a cup 'o joe! I'll keep you all posted and I'm sure I'll need a little hand holding during the process. Thanks all.

Well, it is done. Premier w/xtra carboy. I took Bert's advice after talking to the "Boss" here and ordered up an Island Myst Wildberry Shiraz. George informs me it's on the way and may arrive here in snowy Maryland by Saturday.Speaking of George, what a champ! I had some switch out ideas and he was most accommodating. Another happy customer.
smiley1.gif

Now I guess the fun begins. I hope you're all ready to answer yet again all the questions from another "Newbie"

Welcome Pepere and don't let the lack of patience ruin a truly rewarding experience for you. If you will heed some really good advice, buy you a couple of bottles of wine you really enjoy and let your kit wine age suffeciently to reach its potential. I know its tough to do but remember that the best things in life are worth waiting for.

buying a couple of bottles of my favorite is not a problem, Estancia Pinot Noir 2004. Besides I need the bottles eh? I figureonce I have the wildberry shiraz in the 'boy I'll have an empty primary and an empty 'boy to play with, that'll keep me busy I suspect. Hmmmm, I see a pattern here, empy primary and an empty 'boy, this could get adictive.
smiley36.gif

Ah yes, and the buying begins!
smiley2.gif
Now be sure all your friends know you need empty bottles!

Santa (Fedex) has arrived!! Oh joy.
smiley4.gif

All the toys and goodies have been emptied off his sleigh and I'm very excited to say the least. I must however exercise extreme patience. I am out of town for a few days right about the time I'd be racking for to the secondary for the first time
smiley19.gif
so, I can't get started today. I need to be sure my timing and travel are all appropriately lined up with moon phase and plane flights. Questions, pictures and the like to follow.

Open it all up, check it out and get it all in order so you know what it is and where it's at, then read the instructions. Take the instructions with you on your trip and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS when you can. When you get home and get ready to start just remember, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
smiley4.gif
. If you read, and most importantly FOLLOW, the instructions before and during the making of the kit you WILL get the desired result. I read the instructions at least twice before I start, want to make sure I'm doing what THAT kit needs and not the last one, though most WE kits are similar, ther are discrepancies occasionally. Welcome to the hobby and most of all have fun.
smiley36.gif

Steve

Brandst said:
Open it all up, check it out and get it all in order so you know what it is and where it's at, then read the instructions. Take the instructions with you on your trip and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS when you can. When you get home and get ready to start just remember, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
smiley4.gif
. If you read, and most importantly FOLLOW, the instructions before and during the making of the kit you WILL get the desired result. I read the instructions at least twice before I start, want to make sure I'm doing what THAT kit needs and not the last one, though most WE kits are similar, ther are discrepancies occasionally. Welcome to the hobby and most of all have fun.
smiley36.gif

Steve

So you got that? Read the instructions! Can't stress it enough and take your time, Don't get rushed. So did you order just that kit or another as well? That one you got will be ready quick and before you know it, will be all gone. Get you another kit, quick, hurry now so you can get it going and in the bottle to age. Heck, get two while your at it. Get a Vintners Reserve kit which is ready fairly quick and a Selection kit as well. Go on now, get that order in (and no, I get no commission here, I just buy a lot of stuff
smiley36.gif
)

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe:

Once I get my feet wet (and make sure I read the instructions for this Island Mist kit, at least three times
smiley1.gif
) I'm sure I'll be looking at a little bit of an up grade for my next attempt. After all I did take your advice and get 2'boys to begin with, if he aint full he'll be lonely eh?
smiley5.gif
As soon as I return from my trip I'll get'er started and post up some photo's.

DO you have a primary fermenter big white bucket that holds about 7.5 gals? Lots of bubbling going on in that first week carboy could bubble over.

Oh yes! Proud owner of Geo's premier starters kit with an axtra 'boy. I've received so much help and advice on this forum all I need do is listen and execute and I've got a winner. I even took note of Smurfe's tutorial, spoon bad....mixer good
smiley36.gif

As soon as I return from my trip I'll startmy "Mist" kit and order up a Vinters Reserve. Not sure which one just yet but I'm sold on George and this forum. Great group here!

Don't you hate it when Santa's sleigh has been there and you can't start using your new toys right away?! That happened with the Beer kit that Bert got me for my birthday. I was out of town every other weekend for 6 weeks. The waiting just about killed me!

Did anyone mention, read the directions several times before starting?
smiley36.gif

If anyone is interested in making wine, kit or from scratch, and actively takes part in this forum, the information one acquires here will insure success. Either that or you have an I.Q. 2 points lower than broccoli.
smiley5.gif

Example: I just read the thread on "battonage" proccess for Chard's, you can bet at some point I'm there working that little deal. Where else would you acquire that info?

I'm sure you have all, by previous postings, assisted this "newbie" from making numerous faux pas! Oh yes, dry fruit wines? Hmmmm adding sugar to the green apple Reisling to bump the alc. double Hmmm. It's like getting a Masters degree in home wine making. Thanks all and I can't wait to get this kit started.
smiley32.gif

After I read the instructions........again!
smiley4.gif

Good luck with the kit. I just bottled my Wildberry Shiraz kit today. They are quick to make, but honestly I find it a little sweet after adding in the whole f-pack. Very fruity, but just a tad sweet. Before you add sugar to bump the alcohol, consider what you want it for- to drink like a wine, or quench your thirst on a hot summer day as a cooler. They are made to be 6-7% alcohol as a cooler - and do make a good one. If you want a good quick red wine in the shiraz group- consider the Vintner's Reserve Passport Series Australian Shiraz. That was the first kit I made and to this day is one of my favorites(as well as family and friends). 30 days from start to bottling and very drinkable out of the bottle and great after 3-6 months. Also for a quick red, the Vintners Reserve White Zinfandel(much darker than a blush) is quick to bottle and great at that time- rave reviews from everyone-even those who don't normally like a Zin.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back