1st attempt at Dragon Dave's dragon Blood wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbleinn

Junior
Reaction score
Tonight i Followed the directions. i did the 20 cups of SG as directions say to do. Then I took Hydrometer reading and it was 1.062 than added 3 cups of sugar stir for good five min took reading again and 1.068 I stopped thinking that fruit will bring up ABV level up. Directions say i should be at 1.075 its not there with 23 cups of SG. I did not alter receipt except adding 3 cups of SG. We followed directions 100% should i keep adding SG to get to 1.075 or stop
PLEASE ADVISE
Thanks
New Bee

Tonight i Followed the directions. i did the 20 cups of SG as directions say to do. Then I took Hydrometer reading and it was 1.062 than added 3 cups of sugar stir for good five min took reading again and 1.068 I stopped thinking that fruit will bring up ABV level up. Directions say i should be at 1.075 its not there with 23 cups of SG. I did not alter receipt except adding 3 cups of SG. We followed directions 100% should i keep adding SG to get to 1.075 or stop
PLEASE ADVISE
Thanks
I would raise this trial error process with patience but ur rebound quest for my knowledge in the wine game! You see you can't make 2 many mistakes that can be fixed or haven't been made! For the crank the OG up to match desired Abv! You biggest test is your fermentation goin start and produce the amount alocohol per percent that you waNt to yeild no sugar no alocohol. I crank it of yeast slow splice into 2 buckets now got batches and smile so no precious Let run to dry or that sweet spot! B4 it start tasting rubbing alcohol!

PLEASE ADVISE
Thanks
New Bee

From what I can tell this is the recipe that you used...??? DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine.

I don't know what to tell you but it is easy to increase the amount of sugar but really difficult to lower it once it's been added. Go slow and see how the SG adjusts. It may take more than five minutes for the sugar to blend completely.

It might just be me not understanding terminology correctly, but it seems you're using SG to mean sugar. SG is "specific gravity". Sugar is, well, sugar. Kind of confuses this newbie. What is the SG this morning?

@tumbleinn At your current starting SG of 1.068 you will end up with an ABV of about 10.4% if you able to ferment all the way to dry (SG 0.990). If you are satisfied with that potential, then add no more sugar (Note: Some fermentations stabilize at 0.992-0.996.). On the other hand, if you want to achieve your targeted 1.075, then keep adding sugar. Note: Be sure to stir until completely dissolved, or your SG readings will be off. I use a drill with a Mix-Stir Agitator & Degassing Rod to ensure that sugar dissolves quickly and completely. I also run my DBs up to a starting SG of 1.092-1.098 and take them all the way dry; ending with ABVs of 13.5-14.3%. If you are using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast per Dave's instructions, you are capable of an even higher ABV (EC-1118 has an AVB tolerance of 18%). Lots of room for experimentation here. Have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, I'm a new be and I am going to leave the bach alone I did another reading tonight 24 hrs later and I'm still the same at 1.068
im going to add the EC-1118 and see what happens. YesIi had sugar confued with SG. i did follow directions 100% until I didn't get reading as in the directions. Only 3 more cups of sugar after thanks Mhopkins for your input it sure helps. im going to add yeast and see what happens

I Don't have all the answer I'm new also this the point where u start another batch I would run grab couple more bags fruit and more sugar ! You have what called a failed fermentation or slow fermentation ! Split into 2 buckets and take two separate cups of juice or orginal batch out start a 2 yeast flurries also opportunity to start a different flavor u got that bug ! U will have this euphoria the rest of your life ! Be creative don't worry u doin yourself a favor cause u will give away over half of it! To stay on topic something I had batch had to startover like but cheated myself by not adding enough fruit 4 second batch.i would do 2batch just experiment with process since u have extra ingredients! Happy trails man! Just don't afraid to ask many on forum have well knowledge! Check old threads it give u a lot on tweeking your pot Gold.

Sorry, guys, I'm a new be and I am going to leave the bach alone I did another reading tonight 24 hrs later and I'm still the same at 1.068
im going to add the EC-1118 and see what happens. YesIi had sugar confued with SG. i did follow directions 100% until I didn't get reading as in the directions. Only 3 more cups of sugar after thanks Mhopkins for your input it sure helps. im going to add yeast and see what happens

Keep us posted on how the fermentation starts and continues. I've gotta a feeling it's going to be a fine wine. Enjoy the journey!!!

I'm a rank newbie to all of this so I'm no expert. I was looking at FermCalc and put your numbers in it. Adding 1.5 pounds of sugar (roughly 3 cups) to a must that has a SG of 1.062 and is six gallons in volume supposedly should raise the SG to 1.0721. The recipe's author states that the sugar in the fruit will raise the SG up a bit from the initial hydrometer reading and should also raise the ABV%. I'm not sure about why you're not getting a higher SG. But, stay the course and keep us posted! You're on your way!!!! Best wishes. Ed

For what it's worth, remember you are supplementing the natural sugar in the fruit with sugar you are adding to achieve a certain ABV....the fruit has alot to do with how much your gonna add to get to your desired SG(specific gravity).
For example...I'm make strawberry wine wine berries I grow, which have a hell of alot more flavor and natural sugar than the pale white-ish ones you buy frozen...hence my must has a much higher SG with fresh rather than frozen, and dont need to add alot of sugar....using frozen fruit they may have lot of variation in natural sugar depending on harvest time, greenhouse grown etc.
Just follow you taste buds and your hydrometer you'll be ok

Latest posts

Back