1st Apple Wine batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
I've been known to post some really stupid stuff on here and I got to thinking that some of you may be thinking that I'm a real nut! Well, I am so you are right! Good Job! But anyway, I know what good is Jenny (lousy attempt at quoting Forest Gump) and this apple wine I made from Welches apple juice is fantastic! I should know cause I've now consumed one entire 750 ml bottle with er for supper. Dang it's hard to type right now! Anyway, the stuff I've been learning from you all has really helped me produce something right tasty and in my drunken stupor, I just wanted to say Thank you for all your help. You guys rock!

Congratulations on the good wine! I love getting loaded off my own stuff. :r

I've been known to post some really stupid stuff on here and I got to thinking that some of you may be thinking that I'm a real nut! Well, I am so you are right! Good Job! But anyway, I know what good is Jenny (lousy attempt at quoting Forest Gump) and this apple wine I made from Welches apple juice is fantastic! I should know cause I've now consumed one entire 750 ml bottle with er for supper. Dang it's hard to type right now! Anyway, the stuff I've been learning from you all has really helped me produce something right tasty and in my drunken stupor, I just wanted to say Thank you for all your help. You guys rock!
David
1st CONGRATS !!
2nd Welcome to the group of winemakers who are OBSESSED !

Well, best I can remember (I haven't yet learned to write stuff down yet). This is what I did.

5 gallons of Welches apple juice or store brand
mixture of table sugar and a half of bag of dark brown sugar to bring the
SG to 1.085
No K-meta (store bought juice)
yeast energizer and nutrient per manufactures recommendations
One package Red Star Pasture Red yeast
3 cinnamon sticks

Threw it all together in primary and let it go dry. Racked it off several times over a 4 or 5 month period. Added Potassium sorbate and K-Meta, 1 gallon of apple juice as an F-pack and bottled.

It's very clear when you eyeball it and packs a wallop. Don't know what the alcohol content is, but it's got the most kick of anything I've done to date.

I was disappointed that I can't taste the cinnamon very well. I think it was because I used old sticks that weren't the best quality. Next time I do something with apple, I hope to use green apple and raspberry. I think that one would be fantastic. But this one is getting the most request from family and friends. I thought I would be the only one drinking the apple cause everyone else was enjoying the other stuff I've made. However, one taste of the apple has got them all asking for it.

Only thing I can add is CK the TA, Add f-pac and backsweeten

thanks dav!
i've done an apple/pear/spice but have been thinking about a regular apple. thanks for the recipe.

Well, best I can remember (I haven't yet learned to write stuff down yet). This is what I did.

5 gallons of Welches apple juice or store brand
mixture of table sugar and a half of bag of dark brown sugar to bring the
SG to 1.085
No K-meta (store bought juice)
yeast energizer and nutrient per manufactures recommendations
One package Red Star Pasture Red yeast
3 cinnamon sticks

Threw it all together in primary and let it go dry. Racked it off several times over a 4 or 5 month period. Added Potassium sorbate and K-Meta, 1 gallon of apple juice as an F-pack and bottled.

It's very clear when you eyeball it and packs a wallop. Don't know what the alcohol content is, but it's got the most kick of anything I've done to date.

I was disappointed that I can't taste the cinnamon very well. I think it was because I used old sticks that weren't the best quality. Next time I do something with apple, I hope to use green apple and raspberry. I think that one would be fantastic. But this one is getting the most request from family and friends. I thought I would be the only one drinking the apple cause everyone else was enjoying the other stuff I've made. However, one taste of the apple has got them all asking for it.

LOL, get a hydrometer so you can take a reading to calculate your alcohol. How old is the apple wine? The cinnamon is just now starting to come through on my apple wine but it is a year old.

It's maybe 6 months old. At the rate of current consumption, it's not going to make it to be a year old. I might be able to hide one or two bottles, but how would I hide them from myself? LOL

I've been known to post some really stupid stuff on here and I got to thinking that some of you may be thinking that I'm a real nut! Well, I am so you are right! Good Job! But anyway,

Dave all we ask is, be what ever you ever you want to be but be good at it. And like the rest of your family here we are damn good at being NUTS!

Congratulations on your apple wine. Glad it turned out as you hoped it would. Now get your next batch going but this time, how about using fresh apple cider? Keep posting. we like to hear from you and we like pictures also!:tz

Back