1000 lbs of stubin grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey

Reaction score
Just helped a friend (Gus) pick lots of grapes! I volunteered so that I could learn. Gus is old school and is looking to Me for advice. He knows I'm a nubee with only a year under my belt, but I've told him I've added : raisins, currants, bananas ,in different batches of my must. All of these are still aging but they taste promising
My question is ,what can I add and when to get a little more 'body' and flavore to these lite grapes

- Oak and/or tannins

- Split the batch & ferment with multiple yeasts, then blend

- Longer maceration or fermentation with skins before pressing

Deezil said:
- Oak and/or tannins

- Split the batch & ferment with multiple yeasts, then blend

- Longer maceration or fermentation with skins before pressing

We're going with 2 batches, RC 212 and Gus is dead set on a "turbo" yeast . So I suggested EC 1118
He just bought 85# of bananas for the secondary . Guess I've been talking too much "out of the box" as joeswine would say

hate to say, but i think i would have done more research before i tackled a thousand pounds of anything.
ec1118 is not turbo yeast. most use Alcotec for a turbo yeast.

The EC-1118 is turbo in the sense of a fast acting yeast. It has a tendancy to blow off aromatic esters such as Steuben has. If you want a fruity aromatic wine, don't use the EC-1118. Capture what Steuben has to offer by accentuating the fruit and esters with a slow moving yeast.

EC-1118 is in fact a fast acting yeast, like the pasteur red are premier curvee by red star..but it is not a turbo yeast...
a turbo yeast is just that, very fast fermentation and very high alcohol abv. up to 20 percent.

jamesngalveston said:
EC-1118 is in fact a fast acting yeast, like the pasteur red are premier curvee by red star..but it is not a turbo yeast...
a turbo yeast is just that, very fast fermentation and very high alcohol abv. up to 20 percent.

Thanx for the input. But Gus is going head strong here. We will be doing 2 batches ..we'll see.we crush today..old school following advice from a nubee. LOL

Back