White stuff?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
Racked a WE Chilean Malbec to secondary yeasterday. Checked on it today and this is what I found... Any thoughts

photo.jpg

It looks like the rest of the foam just white. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You need to get that carboy topped up!!! Too much headspace. Use some marbles and get the level up into the neck.

It's still fermenting, "WE secondary." Plenty of bubbles coming up through the airlock. No need to top up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Well, yes, of course it's still fermenting--but too much headspace is a big risk for oxidation, but even more for vinegar production.

Racked a WE Chilean Malbec to secondary yeasterday. Checked on it today and this is what I found... Any thoughts

Little more info would help us answer better.. Is primary ferm complete? What's your current SG? If its finished, that wine should be topped all the way up and airlocked.. Are you planning to put the wine through MLF? If so now is the time, if not, sulfite wine to the correct ppm depending on its pH

SG was 1.000 when racked on Saturday.
Done fermenting? No.
MLF plans? No.
Sulfite? I just follow the kit instructions.

Took a look today and the white line is gone.

SG was 1.000 when racked on Saturday.
Done fermenting? No.
MLF plans? No.
Sulfite? I just follow the kit instructions.

Took a look today and the white line is gone.

If you do not want any future issues with this wine, top that carboy all the way up.. can't stress that enough… g/l

I don't top up. No problems. If I plan on bulk aging over 6 months I then worry about toping up. But for second rack with fermentaion still going I never top off. It will be racked in a few months when it is done droping the bulk of lees. For this stage I consider topping up a personal preference. Not a cause for panic. Just my personal experiance.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

It is more than a personal preference, it is a risk leaving a wine done fermenting with that much headspace for 6 months. As soon as the wine is finished fermenting it should be topped up. Like anything else you might get away with it a few times, but it is more likely to go bad on you. Combaliw is alright for now because it is still creating C02, but once fermentation is over it should be topped up to readuce headspace.

I don't top up. No problems. If I plan on bulk aging over 6 months I then worry about toping up. But for second rack with fermentaion still going I never top off. It will be racked in a few months when it is done droping the bulk of lees. For this stage I consider topping up a personal preference. Not a cause for panic. Just my personal experiance.

you can drive without a seatbelt too for a long time with no problems.. but it just takes that one time…I'd rather be prepared..

I agree, this much headspace for 10d ain't no problem. When rack degassing, I'll slim down to a 5gal carboy. Thanks for the replies everyone.

BC

I use a seatbelt, but would chose not to have air bags or abs brakes if given the choice. I also do not put on my seatbelt when moving my truck from one end of the driveway to the other. Not topping up with fermentation still on going is like driving my truck in the driveway.
People grade risk diferently. Hense the "personal opinion and experiance" I stated.

Back on topic....
White line is normel. Fermentaion is still ongoing.

Latest posts

Back