WineXpert Any thing I can do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I have made a kit of Chilean Malbec that starting sg was 1.072 (range (1.075-1.1). I didn't think this would be an issue.

I had used a different fermenter & I'm assuming at this point my 23 liter mark is off.

Results, I'm at day 31, was going to rack & wait a week to bottle. I have been doing this with the kits to avoid sediment in the bottles. But, the wine is watery thin & very weak tasting.

Is there any hope or is the future of this batch the drain?

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud.

Could I buy another batch/kit, make it with a starting sg of 1.1 or a little higher & blend them?

Thanks,
Brian

Don't you dare give up! There are lots of members who are familiar with these kits and will be along shortly to help! Promise.

I know nothing about kits and will not answer your specific question.

But speaking of specifics, what is your specific gravity, right now.

Last edited:
SG as it sits right now is .992

I've topped it off into a 5 (& plan to let it sit there until I get this figured out) & have blended the remaining 3/4 gal with a fruit batch I made last summer that was way too powerful - kinda like what I think when someone says "rocket fuel" & it's very drinkable.

But, looking forward to the pro's advice. I'm guessing that I'll be buying another kit to blend it with.

Thanks,
Brian

Id probably get another kit but........... maybe separate enough to do a 5 gallon batch as it should be and the rest to try and fix you existing batch in case it doesnt work out right. Maybe like keep the 5 gallon batch with an SG around 1.090 and then the other gallon batch about 1.115 or so.

You can also go this way:
red-grape-concentrate.jpg

Use the Red Wine Grape Concentrate to add color, flavor, and sweetness to your red wine. Traditionally used just prior to bottling to add sweetness back into your wine. Please be aware that this juice does not include any stabilizers, which means that it can create carbonation in the bottle if the wine is not properly stored or stabilized. The concentrate is regular juice and the Brix is 68.

It's one liter of juice which might be just enough to compensate for the excess water. You can get it at most wine supply stores or online HERE

Thoughts on the last two posts.

I'm afraid it's way too weak for 1 gallon of stronger wine to fix.but, this is my first experience with this.

If I blend 1:1 with a new batch how strong / how high can I have the starting sg of the new batch without messing it up? Maybe I'll be way off in the end, but that's what I'm thinking about now. It just tastes so thin.

On adding juice at the end. Wouldn't it dilute it down ? This batch is very weak if I add juice wouldn't it make it that much weaker ?

I truely appreciate & respect your knowledge, im just asking the questions hoping to understand it better.
Thanks

Just found the red wine concentrate at my local store. Going to give it a try tonite.

Charlietuna...

Sure wish you had asked this question when you started the kit.

1. Have you checked the fermenter to see if it's mark is inaccurate? Something you could do right now. If it's wrong it needs fixing, and it might let you know FOR SURE that is the problem. BTW, did the batch fit into a carboy when racked from primary? If it did, then you probably don't have a low reading due to a terrible 23 litre mark.

2. Did you stir the kit well to incorporate the juice/concentrate and the water? How did you take the hydrometer reading? Just float it on top? I think that some of the low readings from kits are from poor practices when reading the hydrometer initially. The kit should be stirred vigourously to ensure that everything is mixed well, and to incorporate O2 into the must. The hydrometer should NOT be read from a sample taken from the top of the batch, in case the must is not fully mixed.

3. Did you add the sorbate? Adding red juice concentrate after adding sorbate will NOT increase the alcohol level, it will mainly sweeten the wine. If the sorbate was not added, the concentrate will probably cause fermentation to start up again. You may not wish this to happen.

4. Which Chilean Merlot? The World Vineyard collection kit? Maybe the result is just the way it is.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have not checked the 23 liter mark yet. I am making this assumption due to the 2 issues that seem to go hand in hand. Low starting sg & very weak taste. It was just lack of knowledge on my part.

I always stir well, I have a drill mounted stirrer & always make sure the juice is well incorporated.

I did add sorbate. I followed the kit's instructions & if I remember correctly, the kmeta, sorbate & clairifier are added at step 3.

Also, pretty sure it's not the way it should taste. Very Very Watery, thin, tasteless.

I think it was the world vineyard, the cheaper one ~ $70-80

about the transfer to carboy: It did fit, but I used an itialian. they are over 6 gal & I can't remeber if it was fuller than normal.

My thoughts at this point are to try the concentrate, then if that isn't enough, I'll buy another kit. If not another chilean malbec, a merlot to blend. I'll start it on the high end 1.100 or even a little higher, but I have been warned about wine not starting if it's too high.
Thanks for the response,
Brian

Last edited:
The concentrate will help with the taste and you can add a bit of glycerine to up the mouthfeel as well.

the true body builder

IF YOU COULD FIND PURE GLUCOSE,ITS AS THICK AS MAPLE SYRUP IN THE WINTER AND HAS NO TASTE AT ALL,A DERIVATIVE OF SUGAR WITH OUT THE SWEETNESS, THIS IS A TRUE TRADE SECRET :try

IF YOU COULD FIND PURE GLUCOSE,ITS AS THICK AS MAPLE SYRUP IN THE WINTER AND HAS NO TASTE AT ALL,A DERIVATIVE OF SUGAR WITH OUT THE SWEETNESS, THIS IS A TRUE TRADE SECRET :try

Where can we get this?

I have made a kit of Chilean Malbec that starting sg was 1.072 (range (1.075-1.1). I didn't think this would be an issue.

I have made the Chilean Malbec before (actually a year ago and I still have 5 bottles left). If I recall, my starting SG was closer to 1.090. I will check it when I get home tonight. I topped it up with wine instead of water. It is very pleasant and easy to drink.

I also took a 5.75L out to blend with 5.75L of WE Luna Rosa to make a Luna Malbec. That turned out pretty tasty too.

Glycerine? Tell me more. I've never heard of using it & have no idea how.

Thanks. Brian

The glycerine I have is added at a recommended rate of 30ml per 23 liters. I used some once on a Costco kit and it helped "thicken up" the mouthfeel; I have also used it on a port concoction I made but added too much and it gives a thick syrupy sensation, not at all pleasant.

Glycerin

If you remember Tom back in January when I had the meeting at my house I showed you a little have to list and cannot fin jar that was glucose, it came from a place in Texas they were wine and beer supply house, but I originally bought it from Richlands in benua off of route 40, that I had bought half a dozen jars and have only two left.

I believe this is the same consistency of product that we find in the fpac that we get from the kit manufacturers and I think this is how they get the thickness and the body into the one when certain kits. Don't know where you can find anymore I tried all websites but maybe someone else confines of, once again pure glucose derivative of sugar without sweetness if you could find this will answer all your questions.

Brian,

My starting SG for this kit was 1.088. Perhaps you have got a bad batch for one reason or another. Did you talk to the staff at the store where you bought the kit? I have found the boys at my usual location to be great for advice too and they also have a satisfaction gaurantee which would be useful for your situation. Here is the link to the site:

http://www.noblegrape.ca/100_per_cent.asp

I hope it works out.

Thank you all for your comments. I haven't touched this yet. As soon as I do, I'll post results.

Thanks again,
brian

Latest posts

Back