Barrel empty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillShill

Reaction score
Hi newbie to barrel ageing , I’ve a 23 litre new barrel which had a Chilean Malbec kit in for 30 days, I’ve just racked to a PET carboy, I’ve 3 more kits ageing and intend to barrel finish them.
Do I rinse with water as after racking, I had half a glass of sediment left in the barrel, I’m just not ready to introduce new wine for a few days as I need to wax a few spots that oozed for a week when I first added wine.

If it stopped leaking after the week I would say the barrel is fine. It just might have needed a little more time swelling. If it did still leak I would recommend tightening the hoops, it does wonders for sealing a barrel. Which ever route you decide I would not leave the barrel empty unless you have sulfur sticks to burn.

Thanks for your quick reply, I’ve waxed a few areas and that was more precautionary, do I lightly rinse inside the barrel with fresh water, and would the barrel be fine empty until tomorrow afternoon.

It's a good idea to clean the barrel between wine, but it's far better to rinse and immediately refill the barrel than to leave it empty for any significant period of time. Filling with the Bordeaux kit was the best choice.

Latest posts

Back