My economy wine making space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJEFF

Reaction score
It's not as nice as other wine making rooms out there (rodo, I mean yours ;) ) But I like it and it's 200% better than the closet I started in 10 years ago!!!

I'm in the military so I mov all the time, but when I retire (another 14 years to go) I plan on having a nice room like in the above link.

It's still not completed but that will be it until the srping when I stop making wine for the summer.

I installed a high tech hydrometer and carboy shattering proof floor today:

IMG00023-20100926-1650.jpg

9.99 a pack of 4 at Wallmart's :)

I recuped an old armoire that was destined to the curb and put all my small stuff in it...that's my wife's favorite improvement!!

IMG00021-20100926-1539.jpg

My "wine cellar"...filling up quickly I'll have to get a new rack soon! :)

IMG00018-20100926-1536.jpg

I also have a laundry sink that really convinient right next to the table.

I'm planning to built a bench in the spring, something sturdy enough to hold a lod of full carboys and high enough so I can put my aging wine underneat with a curtain to protect it from light...

Comments and suggestions welcome!!

Very nice wine room I will post pic to everyone. All I have is a table & A water hose coming from the hot water heater LOL..

Yes they are useful!!

Here's another trick I use to save my carboys:

I put them in milk crates
IMG00024-20100926-1713.jpg

This has 2 use
1-it prevents the carboys from knocking on one another in storage
2-it makes them easy to carry around when they're full

I also wanted to share my cheapo fruit fly trap (I've had a lot of those this summer):
IMG00025-20100926-1908.jpg

Juste take a 600ml pop bottle, cut off the to and turn it around, cut 4 slots for elastics and fill 1/4 with fuit juice or left over wine (if there's such a thing in your little world ;) )

I also use the 2l model to make yellow jacket traps in the summer :)

I made one of those fruit fly traps also. I put balsamic vinegar and dish soap in it. The idea is that the vinegar attracts the flys and the soap cuts the surface tension so the fruit flys sink and drown. At first I though it wasn't working so I started to dump it out but there were about 20 dead fruit flies in about a day in there, so it definately works.

Also, I tried some of those floor tiles in my wine room also. The thing I didn't like about them was that any spills get through the seams and then end up on the underside of the pads, making it difficult to clean. I took them out, and store my carboys on shelves as I have enough space for them.

Its functional use of an area. I need to get some rubber pads for my area after I finish cleaning it up. It's a bit of a mess now but I had limited time to make room.

We also have the rubber interlocking pads for the floor.....very forgiving when you set the carboy down on the floor.

Also, I tried some of those floor tiles in my wine room also. The thing I didn't like about them was that any spills get through the seams and then end up on the underside of the pads, making it difficult to clean. I took them out, and store my carboys on shelves as I have enough space for them.
I actualy find them easier to clean than bare concrete

Works for me, I started off way smaller then that!

I actualy started in a 2x3 closet 10 years ago! :)

Latest posts

Back