What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1479629740.852453.jpg
Had my first mead yesterday. Was a big hit!
Its in its infancy at 2 months old and amazing. Gonna start another batch this week probably. Gonna make a bigger match so I can age some of it. This won't be around for much longer.

Because the 10% ABV in the imperial stout wasn't enough? :)

Actually, does sound like a delicious 'blend'.

I use whiskey, which I age on oak and vanilla bean.
Adds a great layer to any stout.
I think the addition of whiskey to a high abv beer doesn't raise the abv all that much.
That being said-
I am doing some serious day drinking today, but I worked my tail off yesterday....
ImageUploadedByWine Making1479671084.637712.jpg

I think the addition of whiskey to a high abv beer doesn't raise the abv all that much.
That being said-
I am doing some serious day drinking today, but I worked my tail off yesterday....

All that looks great except that Giants shot glass, an Eagles one would deliver it much better.

Campana Ranch Cabernet 2012, one of the better Cabs I've had in a while. The wine is very rich, with a nice balance of dark berry fruit, tannin, and acidity, the oak is pleasant and not overpowering. Steve Bell makes this wine with grapes sourced from Plum Ridge Vineyards on the western facing slopes of the Mayacaamas Mountains in Sonoma.

http://campanaranchwines.com/collections/all

Campana Ranch 2012.jpg

That being said-
View attachment 32461

That is the greatest shot glass I have ever seen. :D

Drinking an SE Valpolicella (started 11-21-15) that I added 6 lbs of used Dornfelder skins to and a couple of lbs of sugar (not sure why, must have been drinking). Just below 13% ABV and it doesn't taste "hot" at all. This is the first bottle I've opened that doesn't have any discernible kit taste. Reminds me of a Bolla Valpolicella that I frequent when I'm in need 1.5L bottles. Nice cherry notes and good acidity, cut through the Lasagna cheesiness nicely. Not spectacular but very satisfying, I'll definitely make this again and might even do the extended skin maceration (post-ferment) that @AZMDTed is experimenting with right now.

11-23-16_Valpolicella.jpg

Can you post a pic, how's the color, etc...

This is definitely a Chardonnay, with lemon, grass, and a very slight hint of vanilla. But the Viognier is there, with stone fruit and the slightest touch of tropical flavors. These come through on the nose as well. Surprisingly nice legs for a white wine.

First time I've tried a Veronese

Not quite as overpowering as an Amerone, but very full and complex. Nice part is a bit of crisp acidity at the finish. I get dried fruit, tobacco, but yet some bright cherries as well. Paired well with lamb chops!

Happy Thanksgiving all��

IMG_3504.jpg

Started w/ Chateau St. Michelle unoaked Chardonnay (1/2 a bottle of which went into the gravy) and a little of the LR Shiraz Viognier, then onto La Crema Pinot Noir. Then onto an absolutely horrific Cabernet that I got at Trader Joes. 'Ravage' 2015 Cabernet has overwhelming notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. Luckily, we were onto dessert at that point and it was OK with that and coffee. Bottom line: stay away if you see it. It really is more like a mulled wine. Otherwise, a fantastic dinner. Two different kids of turkey and all kinds of sides. Amazingly, we are all cleaned up and ready for tomorrow.

So, went to a concert tonight in Annapolis of Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Tim Owens (Judas Priest), and Blaze Bayley (Iron Maiden) where I had some Apothic Dark. Then a glass of Triumph to end the evening.

Last edited:
Snagged a bottle of this at Costco for Thanksgiving week and we popped it one night. This wine was purchased for $6.99 IIRC and garnered an unheard of 91Pts in WS. It did not disappoint! Much, much better than the last bottle of CC H3 Cab I opened a few months back. Needed about 15 mins to open but an amazing value and certainly a 5 Star QPR wine that should be easy to find all over the US.

image_2824436_full.jpeg

Last edited:
Columbia Crest will have $0.01 shipping at times during the holidays when you order a case or over a certain amount. Still not as good as Costco but at least you are voting with your feet so to speak.

Latest posts

Back