building a supply

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have worked the math on this out in detail (under a set of reasonable assumptions). Let me know if you want me to share it.

I am curious to see what you come up with.

I have tried to do the same thing as the OP in that I am starting with 5 - 10 liter kits and then I am planning on 4 longer kits and then finishing with a 10 liter kit all by the end of the year. We drink 3 to 4 bottles a week and I plan on supplementing with an occasional purchase.

I would like to see what you have. Probably will give me something to shoot for.

Ahh, here it is, from an earlier post:

I have just been working out the math of how many bottles one needs to have on hand to meet one's ongoing needs. (I was trying to figure out how many wine racks to build!)

Here are my assumptions: I wish to make a kit, let it age a certain time, and then consume the bottles at a constant rate over a few years (its shelf life). The variables are:

R bottles consumed/yr
A initial aging time (yrs)
S shelf life after aging (yrs)

I claim you need approximately R*(A + S/2) bottles.

For example, I hope to initially age my wines for 1.5 yrs (A=1.5 yr), and then to keep some of them on the shelf for up to 4 yrs (S=4 yr). To support my roughly 4 bottles a week habit (R=208 bottles/yr), therefore, I should plan on having room to store R*(A + S/2) = 208 b/yr*(1.5yr + 4 yr/2) = 208*3.5 = 728 bottles.

In steady state, you will be adding R bottles to this pile each year, and consuming the same number.

If you are interested in where the S/2 comes from, it stems from the fact that your drinkable bottles have been on the shelf, waiting to be drunk, an average of S/2 yrs. (Many have been on the shelf for 0 yrs, fewer of them 1 yr, fewer yet for 2 yrs, etc.) I did not see that at first, and found a (slightly more accurate) result by summing a mathematical series. After finding the result, it's origin was suddenly obvious.

Man, What a great thread!

My inventory WAS about 2,500 bottles. I say WAS for a reason..

I learned the hard way that building inventory is wonderful, but only up to a point. Many wines can only last just so long. Corks, too can only last so long.

This was my exact reason for cutting out the whites and sweet wines for a while. This harvest I am ready to fire up again as time allows.

John T, thanks for the insight. I always figured that 2-3 yrs was probably max life for most wines. Thanks for the opportunity to learn from your experience.

Paul, the formula is most excellent. I suspect it can be used for individual wines (reds, whites and novelty) and then volume averaged, if necessary, like a (gulp) meta analysis. Thanks for the effort.

BC

Another equation to consider:
I have found that I can have a maximum of four carboys or primaries brewing at one time in our kitchen. Exceeding that limit pisses off my hubby. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Another equation to consider:
I have found that I can have a maximum of four carboys or primaries brewing at one time in our kitchen. Exceeding that limit pisses off my hubby. :)

Heather: I know you were just funnin', but you may also be interested in this tidbit. I also have four carboys. My goal is to make one batch (kit) a month, and to age in the carboy as long as possible before bottling. I worked up a spreadsheet that plans my winemaking schedule, allowing a 5-15-20-70 day schedule. That is 5 days in primary, 15 in "secondary," 20 clearing, and 70 in bulk aging. I can do that with 4 carboys and start a new kit each month. Let me know if you want the spreadsheet.

My inventory is currently over the 500 mark(too lazy to count lol) At 1st I was strictly kits. I would do a bunch of cheap ones to stop me from drinking the higher end ones til they aged well. Since joining this site though I now have ,at least 150 fruit etc types added.

I do very little or no kits or novelty wines anymore but I am considering making another jalapeno wine.

I did a raspberry jalapeno wine. It's still young (about 6 months) very hot, and not just in alcohol lol. What food would you recommend you jalapeno with?

My inventory is currently over the 500 mark(too lazy to count lol) At 1st I was strictly kits. I would do a bunch of cheap ones to stop me from drinking the higher end ones til they aged well. Since joining this site though I now have ,at least 150 fruit etc types added.

I did a raspberry jalapeno wine. It's still young (about 6 months) very hot, and not just in alcohol lol. What food would you recommend you jalapeno with?

It goes with anything. It is more a sipping wine. I like to use ours as a marinade for shrimp or chicken.

Paul,

Thank you for the formula. Do you also have a formula for how to fit all those bottles in my basement?::)

I have done a spreadsheet as well to try and calculate how much I need to make early to get started on the path to self-sufficiency. I plan to get at least 6 carboys plus any I can find at yard sales. I PLAN to get 6. I still don't know Heatherd's formula for maximum carboys without pissing off the spouse.

Sourgrapes, yes I would love to see that spreadsheet!

I have attached it as a zipped .xslx file. If you are not able to unzip it or read it, PM me your email address and I will send you the file (or an .xls file, if you have an old version of Excel).

There is also a sheet in that file that I use to monitor my inventory and aging of wines after bottling.

View attachment winecellartracker_sample.zip

This thread is expanding so fast I can't even keep up. Jump off to PM S_G and all of a sudden there is a whole new page.

As per my PM, I too have a spreadsheet that I'm willing to share, I'll dl Paul's .xls and compare and contrast with my meager efforts. I certainly didn't get to the stage of calculating shelf life (aka Half Life???) or consumption rates. I was just trying to schedule out my fermentation and storage resources.

I'm starting from scratch and aspire to a cellar like Pauls in the pic above.

Back