Zorks anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I had problems with my corker, so I decided to try these simple plastic closures. They work really well, but I noticed they seal so tightly that they actually compress the tiny bit of air in the head space.

Any reason for concern? I doubt I can do anything about it.

I have never used them, I have often thought about it but the price difference them and corks always kept me going back to #9 corks.
I interested in seeing where this thread goes. Id like to hear from others that may have used them

What's a zork? lol

Zork - Invented by Conor McKenna and developed by John Brooks in Adelaide, South Australia, Zork is an alternative wine closure that seals like a screw cap and pops like a cork. The Zork closure consists of an outer tear-tab which seals the closure to the wine bottle, an inner metal foil which provides an oxygen barrier similar to a screw cap, and an inner plunger which creates the ‘pop’ on extraction and reseals after use. The Zork has the convenience of screw cap and the pop of a cork and is recyclable.

http://www.mywinetutor.com/corkstozorks.html

We just had a bottle of commercial wine that used them, so they are catching on. They are 35¢ each (per 100) while premium #9 corks are about 25¢ each (per hundred). However, all you need is a mallet and a stable work surface to close with the zork (no corker, no wax, and no foil.). I use a neoprene mallet that I've had laying around for 30+ years. I'm pretty sure you can press them on, although I'd still tap them a few times to be certain they are seated.

I sent this question to Zork and they said that the gas in the head space isn't compressed. Zorks will not work with sparkling wines, the pressure will equalize. They said the sound I'm hearing is air being sucked in past the seal as the cork is removed.

zork.jpg

I have seen these as well.. My LHBS has them. It might be a cool experiment to bottle a batch half corks and half zorks to see how they keep.

Back