Your LAST bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your last bottle of wine in a batch?

• Hold onto it for ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have a special drinking ceremony to celebrate.

• Give it away like half the others.

• Can’t remember, at least after the first two glasses?

• Total voters

peterCooper

Reaction score
I'm down to my last bottle of my first ever batch, a VR Chianti. It was OK but
not superb, being my first. It was a bit thin, mostly because, as the
instructions said, I could use water or wine to top up, and I used water...
but... loads of people said it was good and I gave away half of it.

So now I'm left with one bottle. Wha do I do?

Since you say it wasn't anything special...give a small toast to making the next batch better and bottoms up!

I 'm too new to wine making to have this come up yet. I am still trying to agemy first batch 6 months in the bottles.

JC

Haven't got to my last bottle of anything. My first batch (cabernet) will be a year old in April. I'll probably have some left after 2 years. My goal with each batch is to put a case (12) away when I bottle each batch. It goes to the dungeon. I write the contents and date on the outside. The rest go on display.

I was putting 8 bottles of each batch on the RESERVE rack, some are down to 4 bottles now....[wonder how that happened????] So it will probably all disappear over time....good memories and better batches on the way.....
smiley4.gif

I am the only one, thus far, who says they hold onto it forever. Well, so far forever is 3 years.
smiley36.gif

My husband says I have to keep at least one wine forever of each batch. So I have many one-bottles left. At least this request is for my husband. (you have to do something to please your spouse!)

I have started and hope to continue putting a case back in the box as Vaughn does. This will hopefully make it last longer and let it age properly before drinking. Not sure if I will save the last bottle or not...

So far we have downed our last bottles and enjoyed every drop.....I figure there is more where that came from!!!!!. Every bottle is a special occasion to me.
smiley4.gif

Ramona

so far I have held on to the last bottle of each batch. Wating for a special occasions thing:) Although someone who just opend my 2004 Strawberry said it was wimmpy. I havent opened this bottle yet. so I dont know.

Depends on what it is. I am a wine miser with some of my favorites, but others go without fanfare.

A word of caution. Someone just returned an empty from a kit from our early wine making times and they had saved it for too long. They poured it out because it was no longer worth drinking.
smiley18.gif

rgecaprock said:
So far we have downed our last bottles and enjoyed every drop.....I figure there is more where that came from!!!!!. Every bottle is a special occasion to me.
smiley4.gif

Ramona

Thats the way I see it. Heck that just gives me more incentive to get busy. I haven't been at this too long, 6-7 months but have already went through a29 bottles Burgundy kit andam knocking out a Cab kitpretty quick, hmm, wonder if I am officially a Wino?
smiley5.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

I'm doing good to hold onto a bottle for a year!
smiley19.gif
But, I've only been making wine for a little over a year.

My hubby and I drank a bottle on New Year's Eve, that was from my second batch of wine.

This year, I'm hoping a few bottles make it into the 2nd year!
smiley2.gif

Smurfe,

I presume you were also drinking something else while you were waiting.
Otherwise, no you haven't passed the wino certification class yet.
Edited by: peterCooper

yes saving this stuff is hard here also. just have to make enough to lose those last bottles in the rack. maybe a special rack with just them in it.

I've only been making wine for about a year, and so far I have at least one bottle from each batchhiden away.

I actually have saved the whole batch from my 3rd and 4th batches (pineapple and grapefruit) without sampling a bottle. They were so harsh at bottling that I've been afraid to try.
smiley36.gif
They will get a minimum of a year before I pop the first cork.

My peach and raspberry are different a different story. They tasted so good at bottling that its been tough keeping the last bottle
smiley9.gif
.Edited by: pkcook

Back