Young red recommendation.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keebler71

Junior
Reaction score
Hi again! So I'm about to bottle my first batch and have a second batch in secondary (CC Red Mountain Cab). I'm not expecting great things from the first, being a very inexpensive 5L kit. I am very hopeful for the CC kit but not looking forward to waiting a year to drink it (nor is the wife who bought me the gear for my birthday!). Since my primary is freed up, I'd like to start another batch that will still be good but won't require as long to be drinkable. What recommendations would you have for a wine that is drinkable early (say as soon as 3-6 months) but maybe still gets better as the rest of the bottles age? We pretty much like all reds... appreciate any recommendations! Thanks!

The wife and I just sampled a WineXpert Island Mist yesterday. It was lower on alchol content and sweet but still good. We could definitly see drinking it on warm summer afternoon. My understanding is that they do not require a lot of aging. RJ Spagnols Orchard Breez'n kits would be similiar. You could get one of these kits going so it would be ready for summer in a few short montsh. Once it is out of the primary you could start another kit that would require more aging.

Our first wine was a WineXpert Vintner Reserve Pinot Noir (7.5L) kit. We started it on 10/31/10 and started drinking it in January. It is young, I can taste the flaws of my first kit but we still love it. We've got others aging now, 2012 should have a greater selection to choose from.

Try a white nas an early drinker. Washington Reisling kits from most manufactors drink early. Add half of reaserve to primary of they end up real sweet

What type of wines do you like?
As someone said - Mist kits are ready right away. the WE VR kits dont' need much aging either. I just did a Luna Rossa and had my first taste last night and it was very nice for a young wine. I bottled it only two weeks ago and no bottle shock or anything.

Back