Yeasty taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can try raising the ph. Just try it on a small batch, if it helps, you can do it to the rest. If it doesn't help, the rest of the batch is still sitting there waiting. One thing about our winemaking, it is easy to add ingredients, not so easy to get em out again. Arne.

I don't consider myself as nearly experienced as some of you guys on here but it makes sense to me that if the odd yeasty flavor is described as "sour" and cold stabilization cures it, wouldn't that point to the acid being out of balance in the beginning?

I would guess that this would only be true if one gets crystals to fall out during the cold stage. If no crystals, the acid did not change.

Sounds more to me like simply a young wine. Not all wines, when young, may not have that same taste. I guess the key is if that taste eventually goes away.

I would guess that this would only be true if one gets crystals to fall out during the cold stage. If no crystals, the acid did not change.

Sounds more to me like simply a young wine. Not all wines, when young, may not have that same taste. I guess the key is if that taste eventually goes away.

Its interesting that you say that, because yes we do get crystals.
We originally thought young wine as well, but our wines with the biggest problem are 18 months to 2 years old.
The cabernet that I discussed earlier was 1 year in the secondary and another bottled.
That should have been enough to clear an aging problem.

Well, this might be why you have yeasty flavor. Nutrient allows the yeast to produce more readily, and may get stressed without it. It also provides high levels of natural enzymes and N2 and increases the yeast's tolerance to alcohol. As fermentation progresses,yeast settles and compacts on the bottom which causes additional stres. It's important to keep the yeast cells in suspension. So if you weren't punching down the cap, and stirring the ferment around, this could cause a problem too.

The yeasty flavor may come because your yeast is stressed without some good, more complex nutrients to work with. It's a mistake to not use nutrient.

Latest posts

Back