Cellar Craft Yeasty smell comming from wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjhawk

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to the fold. first batch started 4weeks ago Lodi Old vine Zin,
I'm up to the step of clarification , the wine smells and tastes very yeasty ? any suggestions or guidance.

Will this leave the wine after two weeks of clarification ?

Well I think some of the guys here will need to know some more about the wine you're making.
Did you follow the directions exactly, or did you deviate from their recipe? What was you starting and ending SG? What yeast were you using?
Is there still active fermentation going on?
Since you are clarifying, did you add stabilizers such as KMeta and Sorbate?
Did you degass?

Sounds like you are just smelling and tasting a new wine. Sounds like this is your first kit ............. Just follow the directions and you and your wine will be fine. The one thing that no one tells you is that the wine maybe finished and bottled in 6 weeks or so, but it still needs to be aged. Just try (its hard, we all know) to be patient but you will be rewarded. BTW, every Cellar Craft I've made has been terrific.
Welcome to the forum!
VC

Itsd a cellar craft 5 week kit.

Starting SG was 1.084 ending was .994

Dont know the type of yeast, it was included in the kit.

Just stick with the directions. Be sure to keep notes. Like vcasey said, it's a new wine and it could just be the smell of a green wine. If you've already added all of the stabilizers and clarifiers and all give it some time to clear and bottle it up and let it rest for a few months.

Most likely EC1118, this strain is used in most (not all) kits because its pretty sturdy. When you go to bottle put some in 375s so you can open and taste as the wine ages. Keep notes so you can get a feel for how it develops as it ages.
VC

yes degassed used the stabilizers in the kit as perscribed by the directions.

"Good luck. :) If you have any more questions, these guys know a lot and have given me a lot of good advice.

375's are the half bottles so you can taste every so often just to see how its progressing but it will need some time to age to come around despite what some kits say about being ready to drink at some particular time. The yeast smell will subside pretty soon but the wine will still need time for the abv to mellow and the tannins and bouquet to open up.

Half bottles.

jjhawk said:
what is 375s ?

And welcome to the forums!
smiley32.gif

Welcome jjhawk. The kits all have many different smells and aromas they develop while fermenting. A lot of us learn to love those smells and embrace them. In my winery I love the smells as I walk in the door, some more than others. The yeast smell is just that, the smell of the yeast at work, nuch like making bread. That smell will go away soon like others have said and the wine will develop it's own smells and personality as it finishes up and ages. What story will your wine begin to tell? Only time will tell.

Welcome jjhawk. You are sure in the right place to learn about winemaking. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum. Good luck and have fun, John.

Back