yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el wino

Reaction score
is it o.k to use only half of the yeast envelope for a gallon size batch & save the rest for another batch later.I know that1 envelope of yeast is good for 5-gallons...Its just an observation. Would it fully ferment to dry if only used half........

Using half a pack for the gallon batch would be OK. Don't know how long the pack will last after opened though. I am sure someone will chime in though. I do remember though when I was younger that you could buy the bread yeast in a jar you scooped teaspoons out of so maybe if it was kept in an airtight container????

My thought is thought that a pack of yeast is dirtcheap but it would be ridiculous to make an order for a pack of yeast only if you didn't have a local shop to pick some up from.

Smurfe

There would no problem at all doing what you propose el wino. Just close tha package back up by rolling it up, put a rubber band around it or just put it ina zip loc back and put it in the fridge

I'm thrifty, I've made a few batches off a pack. But I make a starter 24-36 hours prior. Youshouldn'thave any problemmaking a couple 1 gal batches. Take Waldo's advice and wrap it tight and put it back in the fridge, though. For reference, I just started another batch with an open pack of lalvin 71B-1122 that's been in the fridge for a couple months. They started fine.

Latest posts

Back