yeast too hot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
I think I'll be fine, but I would just like to hear it from the experts, I pitched yeast this morning in another batch of Mango-Peach Medley, the must temp was at 67* so I decided to set it on the heating pad for while, then I proceeded to lay back down and naturally, I fell back asleep. :slp I got up about 2 hours later and checked the must temp. It was at 122* and there seams to be some excessive yeast bloom floating on the surface that I stirred back into the must.
Did I hurt anything or do ya think I will be fine?
I used Red Star premium cuvee, pitched at 5:00 am at 67* heated to 122* by 7:30 am. Starting sg was 1.081 if that will make a differences in your answer.
Thanks for the advice

Did you stir it and take that temp because if so thats very hot and may have killed the yeast and you will want to get and have some yeast on hand just in case. If that was just a surface temp then its probably much lower and much safer.

Yes do stir it. You may just have hot pockets. I would make another starter and add once the temp is in the 70's.

It was the surface temp of a 2 gallon batch the heating pad was under the primary and the temp prob was actual doped into the hole for the airlock, Maybe about 2" or 3" into the must. I didn't recheck the temp after I stirred. I do have more yeast on hand, if it don't show signs of fermenting by tomorrow then I should be safe to just pitch another package in it again, right?

Correct. if its not fermenting tomorrow then Id repitch. Normally Id say give it a little more time but with those temps it will eityer take off quickliy or be killed with the previous yeast.

Wade's right. Should be no problem pitching once temp is in the 70's.

This is exactly why I always pick up two packages of yeast when I am starting a new wine. The possibility of me screwing up something and having to start over again is always present.

Thanks guys, the temp is holding a good 72* now, I just gave it another good stir and I think I have some of those little critters still alive and swimming in there, it is starting to show a little fizz when stirred. :db

Well if its down to 72 then Im willing to bet that temp was just a surface temp and not actual temp which is good.

Back