My Yeast is Expired? Surprise!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Well I've read recently about the crazy world of "Use By," "Freshest If Used By" and all the other variations of these label markings. The FDA and Food manufacturers can't seem to agree on what should be used. In fact the states each have their own crazy rules. BUT that's not really what this is about.

With yeast we assume that if a yeast has a date on it, that after that it's expired and 'considered' not reliable for use. That is probably true but Assuming things like that....well you know how that word breaks down.

So my Packet of Red Star Montrachet yeast has been in the fridge since.... Hmmm I don't remember, perhaps it was one of the packets I got when I bought my wine making starter kit in the summer of 2015?

The date on the packet at the top reads as follows "BB DEC 2016 0469" perhaps BB means Best By ? But in any case after December 2016 I would expect that it's not considered truly viable.

SURPRISE. It's August 26 2018 And on a whim I was making a 1 gallon batch of Sweet Cherry wine from a bottle of concentrate. (I'm also going to later add in one or both of the 20 oz bottles of Tart Cherry Wine that I have left from a batch aging.)

I mixed up my Standard Yeast Starter which consists of
2 oz of water (Heated for about 30 seconds in the microwave)
1 oz of wine must
1/16 tsp Fermaid K
1/8 oz Yeast Nutrient
Allow to cool until just warm to the hands then add the yeast

(I know that this may not match up with recommended uses of Fermaid-K but Hey it's been working great for the last 8-10 batches of wine I've made)

I walked away and came back an hour later. Normally I get good results (Extensive foaming and yeast smell) within 20-30 minutes. In any case the 6 oz glass was brim full of foaming well agitated Starter solution - But would it really ferment.

Last night I pitched the starter into the must at about 6:30
This morning at 10:00 AM I checked it and found a light cluster of small to large bubbles and a little bit of foam on the surface. I Stirred the bucket and Woosh! At least an inch of foam formed rapidly. I re-covered the container and declared the Ferment is under way.

SO before you pitch that "expired" yeast packet - If it's still unopened, maybe even if it was opened and clipped shut - Don't give up. What's an oz of juice a little nutrient and a tiny bit of Fermaid going to cost you, other than maybe an hour of time?

In this case I tossed in the entire package of "Expired" Yeast

Last edited:
All Best Before Dates usually indicate a worst case scenario, or are there for liability. Especially with a died sealed package of yeast I would imagine it is viable long after the BB date.

All Best Before Dates usually indicate a worst case scenario, or are there for liability. Especially with a died sealed package of yeast I would imagine it is viable long after the BB date.

Yes, those dates are nothing but a liability figleaf cover. I would expect something to be good a few months beyond an "Expiration Date" but 2 years sort of surprised me. The issue and the point is that markings on containers may or may not have any solid connection to reality but they put them there to protect themselves in our litigious society of today.

I rehydrate every package every time because Grandmother and the manufactures say to do so. Besides, I like to watch it wake up!

Back