Yeast strain for CA Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
I have an extra packet of RC 212. I was wondering if this strain is suitable to ferment a Merlot? Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Wine Making mobile app

Sure---RC212 is great on all the big reds. But here's another culture I've read about and am very intrigued by---I'm yet to try it--maybe this fall. It's a Scott Lab culture and is called L2226. The description is that its characterized by aromas of black cherry, berry and cherry cola in red wines. That just sounds so good to me!!

Thanks for the input guys. RC-212 is exactly what I'll be going with then for sure.

Turock- I agree, that description sounds fantastic. Worth trying out indeed!

You can always look at the yeast chart. Lalvin yeast chart. Rc 212 seems to be a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks for all the great info- much appreciated.

One note on 212, It likes to be well fed. I suggest a 3 dose approach (once prior to pitching yeast, one 1/2 through fermentation when your brix is down to about 12%, and one at the tail end of fermentation (when brix is down to about 1 to 2%)

How much nutrient do you give each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I was wondering the same thing. I have Super Ferment. My plan was to use 6 grams total, 3 grams at start of fermentation and another 3 grams when brix got to about 14. Any thoughts?

One note on 212, It likes to be well fed. I suggest a 3 dose approach (once prior to pitching yeast, one 1/2 through fermentation when your brix is down to about 12%, and one at the tail end of fermentation (when brix is down to about 1 to 2%)

I'd only suggest this personally, if the last addition is only-organic nitrogen - something like Fermaid-O. Otherwise, the yeast wont utilize the DAP and it'll act as food for any spoilage organisms.

I was wondering the same thing. I have Super Ferment. My plan was to use 6 grams total, 3 grams at start of fermentation and another 3 grams when brix got to about 14. Any thoughts?

That should work.. I believe Super Ferment has DAP in it, in which case you wouldnt want to dose it past the 50%-sugar-depletion mark anyway, due to what I just previously mentioned

More reading on Yeast Nutrients can be find in the link in my signature.
I'm not sure, however, on the percentage of nitrogen within Super Ferment.

Latest posts

Back