Yeast Starter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
When I make strong ales with high initial SGs, I will make a yeast starter to get things going quickly and to further help the yeast. I have started making wine, and my fermentations have gone well with just rehydrating the yeast. Does anyone make a yeast starter for primary fermentation? Opinions?

Jwatson said:
When I make strong ales with high initial SGs, I will make a yeast starter to get things going quickly and to further help the yeast. I have started making wine, and my fermentations have gone well with just rehydrating the yeast. Does anyone make a yeast starter for primary fermentation? Opinions?
Yep some people do make starters. Others just rehydrate as you did. Many others (me included) just sprinkle the yeast on top of the must. I haven't had any problems with this approach, so why do more work than necessary.

Steve

I always make a starter. It may not be necessary, but at least I don't have to guess if the yeast is still viable. Also, I generally get some nice fizzing within a couple of hours.

Just make sure the temperature of he yeast starter is within 2 or 3 degrees F of the must. Otherwise, the shock can kill most of the yeast in the starter.

Latest posts

Back