Yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outbackmac

Reaction score
How much effect will the choice of yeast have on the taste of wine? we use juice buckets.

I’ve only made wine from grapes (besides some Skeeter and DB). My experience is that initially quite a bit, but after aging reds in a barrel for a year or more, the differences are far less. Whites may have a more significant impact, especially on how they smell; floral notes.

I suspect that there would be a difference with juice buckets, drank early that were not aged in wood. Split a batch and try. My favorite is the D80/D254 combo.

How much effect will the choice of yeast have on the taste of wine? we use juice buckets.

Proper yeast selection can certainly have an impact on the taste. I'm not sure how to quantify for you "how much" of an impact, but a good selection vs a poor one for the same wine would certainly be noticeable.

Heard a Napa winemaker say the same thing. And that characteristics from the yeast aren’t detectable after a big red is barrel& bottle aged . He noted that yeast selection should be focused on what’s best for the wine & conditions to ensure a healthy & complete ferment.
But as far as whites and reds consumed earlier?Finding out 1st hand is part of the fun! I did the split d80 d254 combo that @NorCal mentioned. I kept em separate for about 6 months and definitely tasted the differences in spite of a pretty average palate.

You can google it there is a chart that shows what yeast is good for what your trying to make as some are good for reds and some more for whites or even blush, its a simple guide to keep in mind when starting but its all up to what you prefer on taste, alc % and the type of wine you are starting. I for one like a white and dry and shoot for higher alc % so I actually use a champagne yeast, as the others has stated its more about the wine and conditions to have a complete fermentation as some do better with certain temperatures (high or low) yeast will stop if to low and others may handle it while most need warmer temps those can set off flavors but depending how long it sits on the leese also.im doing a blueberry and it stopped to early because of the weather change now I need to warm it up and jump start it again, but my white grape has been done for a bit now, I also toss in wood chips since I don't have a barrel and its great addition to the flavor...so in addition to your flavor issue you can get a powder or whood chips to do a short age on an that should also help...Hope this helps sorry I'm not a master just an enthusiast like your self..#thewinesgood

Like the others said - I think that the yeast plays a big part in the early stages and if you are planning to consume your wine early. That seems to fade away with time / barrel aging and bottle aging.

I'm thinking about the D80/D254 mix this year or potentially the Avante Renaissance on its own. Has anyone tried both and prefer one or the other?

Oddly, this list lacks EC-1118 which seems to be one of the most-recommended yeasts. Unless I'm missing something...?

It's certainly the "most furnished with kits" yeast, and for good reason. It's considered by many to be the workhorse of the yeast world, being a very hearty and forgiving fermenter. I recall someone here once wrote that it would ferment a shoe.........an overstatement, but you get the picture.

In contrast, it's considered also to be "neutral", not doing much to enhance any of the qualities of the fruit being fermented, causing folks to look elsewhere for yeasts that enhance floral notes, or red fruit notes, or dark fruit notes, etc.......

If'n I recall correctly, the list of people who said that includes the gentleman from Missouri and the gentleman from NE Philly/S. Jersey. I also hear that bricks (not brix, well, actually, those too) are also fermentable.

I think Fred is really onto something by splitting his batches up and using multiple yeasts. It's a lot more work (which is why my lazy arse hasn't tried it), but I think it'll really pay off. In particular, the Sauvignon Blanc he did last fall and split the batch. Two wines that were made the same, except for the yeast. While both very good on their own, they are certainly different. And I think the blend of those two is going to be an excellent, complex wine.

I think Fred is really onto something by splitting his batches up and using multiple yeasts. It's a lot more work (which is why my lazy arse hasn't tried it), but I think it'll really pay off. In particular, the Sauvignon Blanc he did last fall and split the batch. Two wines that were made the same, except for the yeast. While both very good on their own, they are certainly different. And I think the blend of those two is going to be an excellent, complex wine.

Thanks Jim, we'll see what the judges say. It is one of the wines I entered in the Winemaker Magazine competition. I have a feeling they will say it's too young but that's OK as long as I get notes. The one I am really hopeful about is the Norton blend. The Bull Run winemaker told me it's as good as any Norton he's ever made.

Back