Yeast scum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrologica

Junior
Reaction score
So I started a half gallon of apple cider with 8.5 oz maple syrup mixed in and let sit 2 days. This evening I uncovered it to add the yeast (1122) and found non active bubbles sitting on top in kind of a quilted form. I thought it might be fungus of some sort but hoped for the best and added the yeast anyway. Should I be concerned?

sounds like you might had a wild yeast ferment starting, you are fine. Your yeast will become dominate.

Yeah, after searching on Google, I'm sure you're right. Now I'm tempted to try it again without adding in packet yeast and see what happens. The maple syrup isn't cheap so I didn't want to mess it up. I chose the syrup because it blends in better and would have been easier for the yeast to break down...or so I've been thinking. I wanted to add cinnamon powder or cinnamon sugar in the first two days before fermentation but was hesitant. I remember reading a post that said that cinnamon caused problems...maybe promoted problems with refermentation with each racking. I really can't remember so I didn't add it.

Latest posts

Back