Quantcast

yeast or not

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

larry

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello folks I bought a small batch (1 gal) of cabernet sauvignon I fallowed the instructions including drawing a sample to check SG. The instructions say it should be between 1.080- 1.090..Its at 1.100. do i just let it set for a bit and check again? what if it doesnt get to 1,080? do I pitch the yeast or wait? Thank you for your help

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Make sure it is well-stirred, and check again. 1.100 is a bit high, but it doesn't sound outlandish to me. That is about 13.5-14% ABV. Then, regardless of the outcome, just go ahead and pitch your yeast!

Donatelo

Reaction score
That sounds like it is slightly high to me. I am a newbie, so take this with that in mind. Water will bring the SG down. Stir and add a little bottled spring water until you reach your 1.090. This is just my uneducated guess. Ask Sour grapes .

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
I wouldn't water it down at all yet. Wait until you see how the gross lees stack up. Watering down then will let you add just enough to get back to 1 gallon. That way you'll only be adding as little as possible. That will also help bring down the ABV a little too.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1.1 sg , that is 24 Brix, which would give you a 14.2 or so ABV. Not a problem for a Cab (we did a 27 brix Cab this year) let it fly!

Last edited:

Latest posts