yeast or not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello folks I bought a small batch (1 gal) of cabernet sauvignon I fallowed the instructions including drawing a sample to check SG. The instructions say it should be between 1.080- 1.090..Its at 1.100. do i just let it set for a bit and check again? what if it doesnt get to 1,080? do I pitch the yeast or wait? Thank you for your help

That sounds like it is slightly high to me. I am a newbie, so take this with that in mind. Water will bring the SG down. Stir and add a little bottled spring water until you reach your 1.090. This is just my uneducated guess. Ask Sour grapes .

I wouldn't water it down at all yet. Wait until you see how the gross lees stack up. Watering down then will let you add just enough to get back to 1 gallon. That way you'll only be adding as little as possible. That will also help bring down the ABV a little too.

1.1 sg , that is 24 Brix, which would give you a 14.2 or so ABV. Not a problem for a Cab (we did a 27 brix Cab this year) let it fly!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back